1 month old mondeo

ju1ce76

May 28, 2009
Hi,

We have just bought an 18 month old mondeo from a local car dealers (they are part of the local BMW dealership).

We have literally had the car 2 days and have noticed an oil leak. The dealers have said to bring it in, but before I do I wanted to make sure I understood my rights.

Am I correct in saying that they are responsible for getting the car repaired?
Also if I am not happy with the repairs, i.e. the car continues to leak that I can ask for a replacement or a refund?

Also where do I stand regarding asking them for the use of an alternative whilst ours is in being looked at?

Just want to ensure that I know what I can and cannot demand. I have to say that at the moment they are being quite helpful but it always helps to know where you stand.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Juice,

Welcome to the forum. They are responsible for repairing it and you should get a loan car as the repair should not cause significant inconvenience.

Repair or replacement of the goods

(1)If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—

(a)to repair the goods, or

(b)to replace the goods.

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

If the car continues to leak then potentially you could get a replacement or a refund. Have a look at this:

Consumer Rights when Buying a Car | Consumer Information

It is a particularly difficult area as there are so many factors - age, price paid, condition etc that have to be considered.