Mis-sold warranty and charged interest

Bladesbird

Aug 19, 2009
Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right place, wasn't sure where to put it. Anyway here goes....

In 2003 I bought a tv from buy as you view. I've since bought a pc and washing machine. I've always been in front with my payments, up until my partner became unemployed 8months ago. Since then We've really struggled with the repayments.

On my search for advice I came across numerous sites saying, when I bought each Item I should have been asked if I wanted the warranty. I wasn't I was just told that I'd recieve my warranty slips in the post and to sign next to the X.

I've also noticed on all of the agreements that we have been charged interest on all of the warranty vouchers and the arrangement fees. The sites I found the above information on, also said that this wasn't allowed.

Can anyone advice me if this is correct and if so what do I do ?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have just had a look at their website and noticed the 49.9% APR!!!

I also see that they have a maintenance option for most things which seems to bump the price up. I really don't like extended warranties - Extended Warranties: Are they worth it? | Consumer Information.

They are not calling this an extended warranty though, even though it is. £200 for "maintenance" on a sofa is shocking - what can go wrong??? They should by law offer a 45 day cooling off period, although this was not the case in 2003.

I would consider investigating the possibility of ending the credit agreement if that is better for you. You may be able to do this without a penalty:

Ending a Credit Agreement | Consumer Information

Bladesbird

Aug 19, 2009
Thank You for your response.

About a month ago I asked them for a early settlement figure, which they sent me. Asking for £400, but their is only £540 remaining on the agreement.

I'm not in a finanicial position to pay that amont of money out. Plus I didn't think a £140 saving was really fair.

I've spoke to consumer direct who have passed my case on to Trading standards. So fingures crossed I'll be able to claim the interest back that I've been charged on the "maintainance". Which will not only wipe the slate clean but actually leave them owing me money.

Thanks again