Phones4u wont exchange phone after 24 hours

saintee

Aug 31, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I could use some help on this.Yesterday I went to Phones4u to buy a new vodaphone contact phone. I specifically stated that I wanted a smartphone that was Google synch compatible. I was "pushed" onto the Samsung Jet phone and assured it would synch with Google no problems. (I had a witness with me at the time of purchase).

The girl who sold it to me was polish and was certain it would synch but said she could not demo it till the sim had activated and this would take up to 72 hours.

When I got home a few hours later the phone beeped with a text so it had activated. When I checked the phone for instructions to synch with Google I discovered that this phone is not compatible with Google sync. Even Google confirm this on their mobile forums.

So I called the store and told them that the phone does not do what I want and asked to come in to exchange the phone. The store manager asked me to come in but when I got there their story changed and got dozens of different excuses about being sacked, they don't do exchanges and was oint blank refused an exchange.

This was less than 24 hours after buying the phone.

The phone is brand new and unused undamaged in any way. I made sure I never let them take the phone out of the box as I have heard of their staple and tie scratch scam.

They put me onto their customer services but they were unbelieveably rude and told me it was tough.

I don't want to cancel the contract - I just want a phone that does Google Sync as they promised me when I made the purchase.

What can I do?

Many many thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Phones4u don't have a great track record - have a look at this:

Phones 4U caught mis-selling | Consumer Information

Anyway, you have two options.

1. Get the phone working indirectly with Gmail. You can do this by setting up another compatible e-mail addresss perhaps provided by your ISP. You then set the reply-to address to your g-mail account and set Gmail to forward all mail to this account.

2. Get a new phone from Phones4u. Given their track record I think it is worth contacting Consumer Direct - see number above - as you will probably need an intervention from your local Trading Standards office. You statutory rights have been breached as the product is not as described. Even if you go for option 1 I would do this so they have a record of their behaviour.

Good luck let us know how you get on

Tony

P

Phones 4u

Hi,

Sorry to see that you are experiencing some issues with Phones 4u.

We take customer complaints very seriously and would like to look further into your query.

Therefore, so that we can access your details, please could you provide us with your full name and the area where you live?

Kind regards,
Phones 4u

knobbiewilliams

Sep 21, 2009
sad to hear about your probs...i upgraded my phone from an lg ku 990 to a GC900 at phones4u, tried it in store as best you can with no sim, got home, charged it overnight, in morning inserted my sim and.....found it was not of much use to me because of useability issues.
hard to navigate through internet, no settings sent for phone that worked ok by vodafone.
contacted shop of purchase...no help....contacted head office of phones4u....no help...contacted lg support....they were helpfull to a point but could not help me with divx issues, have tried to exchange for another phone, phones 4 u say i cant exchange as they say its not company policy??
I am happy with my contract, just not the new phone, how could i evaluate it fully without an active sim inserted???
The longer i keep the phone, the more chance of damage as you cant accept a phone call whilst the phone is in the box and wrapper so i need this sorted one way or another.
they have refused to even think about me returning it, i cant see the problem, its n.i.b. unscratched, fully charged and was already mauled by god knows how many other 'customers' before i got my hands on it.

Last edited: