IKEA ktchen doors faulty

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
after 18 months my ikea HIGH GLOSS WHITE doors are all bubbling and because i cant find a reciept and i paid cash the 25 year guarantee is null and viod,i spent a fortune with 23 units ! and its now a total mess.what can i do?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. Do you have anything you could use as proof of purchase - delivery note, order form, bank statement etc.?

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
i noticed the doors bubbling so i took 3 off and went to ikea nottingham,i even took photos of my HUGE kitchen 23 units in all to show them,as i couldnt find reciept,they changed 3 doors there and then,i came home fitted them and noticed all were starting to bubble the same way,so i phoned up and said to KIRK the customer services manager i had further problems please come and look,he said no reciept or proof of purchace sorry cant do anything further the 3 doors was a good will gesture,that is not what i was told the 1st time,a woman manager JANE said dont worry we will sort it,but im still stuffed now KIRK said NO..... i paid cash and have no reciept....2 weeks ago i spent £300+ in ikea doing my office out and if id known this i wouldnt have spent in ikea ever again....im a good customer and its my 2nd IKEA kitchen....gutted.............HELP

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think you would have a good case under the Sale of Goods Act as it is unlikely that you bought these second hand or from someone else. However, it would be better if you could back this up with something.

Who delivered it to you? Can you contact them they may still have a record? Was anybody with you when you bought the kitchen?

As this is a civil law you just need the balance of probablity to be in your favour rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt' as in criminal law. Ultimately it would be for a judge to decide whether the proof of purchase is adequate and this would require your making a small claim. Hopefully, this will not be required and Ikea will replace your doors.

I would write them a letter rather than doing this on the phone so that there is a written record.

I hope this helps

Tony

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
i picked the kitchen doors up myself , not sure who to write to , my friend suggested going straight to the top , IKEA'S UK operations manager , MARTIN HANNSSON ? what do you think ? id thought about going into the store and creating an almighty fuss !

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes I think a letter is best. You basically need to state that the doors are not of satisfactory quality and you would like them replaced. This is your right under the Sale of Goods Act.

Tony

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
i found a bank statement with £500 on it for IKEA in jan 2008
i cant believe my luck it was hidden amoungst other stuff
thats why i thought id paid all cash
seems i did pay some by cash and some card !
IKEA coming out friday to make a report on the doors
will keep you posted
:)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That's great news it would have been difficult to prove that you were party to the contract without it.

Cheers,

Tony

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
the engineer has just left
he said its a maufacturing fault
only 3 doors are unafected out of 18 !
so he sends his report in now
the only thing is whos paying my kitchen fitter a days wage to change them all ?
keeping you posted

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
IKEA finally accepted its a manufacturing fault.
but they will only exchange the kitchen doors which is great but i have to remove them all inc hinges and handles.
then refit my handles and hinges 24 handles 36 hinges approx
i told them because its their fault i want them fitting by your fitters
they now want me to get a quote from a vat reg, company to change the doors and they will look at the cost
why should i have to do this when they have their own fitters?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great news, at least they are going to pay. The end result will be the same, just a bit more effort on your part, but it does give you the opportunity to choose someone reputable.

roberto1954

Oct 11, 2009
got a full refund on all the doors 21 in all and 2 sets of draw fronts and £100 gift voucher £680 in total..result:)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That's great news Roberto and thanks for letting us know the outcome. It is a real encouragement to others.