Recurring Fault on Oven, advice needed.

alicub

Oct 17, 2009
Hi

I purchased a Smeg oven (SUK62MFX5) and took delivery on 12/08/08. On the 13/08/09 the oven stopped working (lights coming on but, not heating up) I phoned the retailer and they advised me to contact Smeg directly and kindly provided another delivery note amended the date of delivery to 31/08/08 so, it would still be within 12 months warranty.

The problem was a faulty dial and it was repaired under the warranty. Anyway, now the same thing has happened again. I have gone back to Smeg who have advised that if it is the same part it will be replaced free of charge but, if another part I will be charged.

I have looked around on the internet at my 'consumer rights' and have also found other consumers having similar recurring faults with Smeg ovens and am now a bit concerned! I am confused as to where I stand if this problem keeps occuring, I am just meant to keep accepting a repair of the part every time it dies? Obviously, I am concerned I will end up paying for this myself if the next part lasts a little longer than the 12 months! Or, do I have any come back with Smeg or the shop where I purchased the goods?

The oven cost £800 and I would expect it's parts to last a little longer than 12 months!!

Hope someone can help!
Ali

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Ali,

The contract of sale is with the retailer not SMEG and your statutory rights are in addition to any warranty. You can make a claim under SoGA up to six years after you bought the cooker and you would expect a cooker to last this long. You need to go back to the shop not SMEG

Hope this helps

Tony

alicub

Oct 17, 2009
Thanks Tony

Think I have made a boo boo now! When this second fault occured I contacted Smeg directly although, this was only yesterday. If I contact the retailer now will it go against me having already contacted Smeg?

I have read the link attached for the SOGA (thanks) but, am still a bit unclear as to what I should do next. Do I have to accept a second repair? Or, can I claim the item is not fit for purpose under the SOGA and request money back towards a new cooker? Or, a replacement?

Sorry so many questions!
Ali

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The law just says you have to give reasonable opportunity for a retailer to repair an item - this is generally considered to be more than twice. Remember if you ask for your money back they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had and if you ask for a replacement it doesn't have to be new just like-for-like.

Tony

alicub

Oct 17, 2009
Well here we are again!

The same fault has occurred on our oven. Looks like six months is the life span of the part (Internal switch keeps melting/overheating!)

I have just contacted the retailer and knowing the history, etc. they are not interested! Retailer said I should consider taking out a maintenance contract, I said that was unsatisfactory as it was a recurring fault and I would expect the main oven switch to last longer than six months (and not melt!) before requiring repair...in my view the oven is 'not fit for purpose'. He basically said, to take out the contract, he would not discuss legalities with me as he could quote me many failed cases and it would be a waste of my time?!?!? Then he advised me to try smeg as they may be able to offer a further guarantee on the faulty part.

I am just not happy that this is acceptable! Any advice on where to go next? Do I make a formal written complaint to retailer and smeg to make a claim under the SOGA? Do I ask for a replacement (less the usage we have had, etc)? I have been reading the consumer direct website and am none the wiser.

Many thanks in advance!
Ali