PCP/Insurance/GAP write off advice needed

MZone

Jan 12, 2011
Hi all,

I have just had my 22 day old 62 plate VW Golf mk6 written off due to flood damage. It is on VW PCP finance, insured through Churchill and I purchased GAP insurance from the main dealer. The car cost £24k in total (inc £1k worth of factory fitted extras) but was financed for £17k - the rest paid by £2k VW cashback and my part exchange.

Churchill have offered me £19k cash or the option to replace the car under their less than 12 month old 1st owner scheme.

Problem is as VW don't make the mk6 anymore so the only replacement I can get is the same car less the £1k in factory fitted extras.

This means I will be out of pocket by £1k as if Churchill replace the vehicle they will not give me the difference.

I have spoken to my GAP insurance and was hoping to use the £19k cash from Churchill and the £5k from the GAP to pay off the finance company and start again but because Churchill have offered me a replacement vehicle the GAP insurance say they will not pay out the difference and it is up to Churchill to replace the vehicle as it is under 6 months old.

I really don't know what to do as I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the car is only a few weeks old then surely there must be others of the same spec still available, ring round dealers everywhere especially the chains as they will have a car delivered anywhere in the country.

You need the same car you bought, that's why you take out the extra insurance, not sure your GAP insurer can squirm out of this so easily either.

Try phoning the financial ombudsmen or insurance ombudsmen for advice.

MZone

Jan 12, 2011
If the car is only a few weeks old then surely there must be others of the same spec still available, ring round dealers everywhere especially the chains as they will have a car delivered anywhere in the country.

You need the same car you bought, that's why you take out the extra insurance, not sure your GAP insurer can squirm out of this so easily either.

Try phoning the financial ombudsmen or insurance ombudsmen for advice.
There are only 5 cars in the UK my main dealer can access of the same type but none of them will have the £1000 factory fitted extras as VW stopped making the mrk6 a few months back as the new Golf mrk7 is due out next year.

Gap are saying because the insurance company have offered me a replacement vehicle as close to the original vehicle they possibly can then they won't pay out and basically I need to stop being so fussy!