off plan property abroad

garyredsea

Feb 27, 2009
I have purchased an apartment off plan ,the marketing for which i found on a uk based website, the marketing promised a european standard finish , now that it has been finished it is not at european standards and there has been an issue with the fixtures and fittings not being as promised on the sales contract ,I have contacted the agent which i purchased the apartment through and he just tells me to contact the builder who has poo-pooed my issues and refuses to put in the fixtures which were detailed on my sales contract ,the agent is still advertising properties on his website that will be finished to european standards is there any thing i can do ?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Gary,

I am not sure European standard means much. Having lived overseas are standards are lower in some respects. However, the fixtures and fittings would be contractual. I am 99% sure that the Property Misdescription Act applies to properties overseas. However, this doesn't help you much and it would be for Trading Standards to confirm this and take the necessary action.

Leave it with me

Tony

garyredsea

Feb 27, 2009
Hi Gary,

I am not sure European standard means much. Having lived overseas are standards are lower in some respects. However, the fixtures and fittings would be contractual. I am 99% sure that the Property Misdescription Act applies to properties overseas. However, this doesn't help you much and it would be for Trading Standards to confirm this and take the necessary action.

Leave it with me

Tony
hi Tony the eu have defined standards similar to the british standards produced by the british standards institute having worked in europe the standards are very close to our own especially the building ones thankyou for your helpful information and I will contact trading standards thanks again Gary

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
See it before buying.

There are rules in Portugal which apply to new constructions, and should be maintained in order to keep a valid habitation license.
Examples are:- minimum of two bathrooms if there are three bedrooms or more; tiles on floors and to 1.5 mts high on walls of bathrooms and kitchens.
However buying anything without seeing it, or having independant checking, is a recipe for disaster.
Builders are not selling much anywhere in Europe. Many will offer flights to serious potential buyers.