£1500 tops for a used car

Durhamlad

May 21, 2014
I have not owned a car for 7yrs but have been a driver for 21yrs and I have to buy one for 38mile each way motorway drive. I am at a loss as to what to buy I have to consider

1 economy (small car able to handle the motorway)
2 reliability (whilst I will be joining a breakdown service it needs to last a few yrs yet)
3 low insurance & road tax
4 style (I have to be seen in it)

I have no idea what to get any advice would be well received.

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Hi,

I recently bought a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi for exactly that amount with one years road tax, one years MOT and a full main dealer service history. Skoda is, as you probably know, part of the VW/Audi/Seat group now, so the cars are exceedingly well put together. I average around 40ish mpg on local journeys which, bearing in mind it is an estate (so huge!) and automatic, is very good. On long journeys which are mainly motorway I average over 50 mpg.

As long as they're maintained, this engine is capable of massive miles (500K+) so don't be put off by a well maintained car with 150K or so miles on the clock. A friend of mine who is a Headteacher bought a VW with the identical engine when it had done 160K miles about 6 years ago. He still has the car and it has now done over 200K miles. It has never once let him down, nor has mine yet.

The do a straight 1.9D as well which can do more mpg but is a little more sluggish. That engine in a body and make of your choice would be my pick FWIW.