£2000+ dslr issue

Pmac1985

Mar 27, 2013
Hi I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advise.

I've contacted my local trading standards office but they were of little help and couldn't seem to care.

I bought a Nikon d800 dslr last year on 11th September, this camera has been known to have issues on some models with the left side auto focus.Nikon have not publicly acknowledged this issue and dout they will, but are happy to sort it free if charge.

So I bought the camera on sep 11th last year, I never really bothered with checking for any issues as I left for asia a few weeks after for a month and it seemed okay as i Mainly used the centre point. Just after Christmas I noticed that it did seem to have this issue but was busy so never contacted the shop or retailer(the shop said they would just send it to the manufacturer for repair if there was an issue when I asked when I bought it online) I contacted the manufacture mid February and after waiting for labels from them to return it sent it off towards the end of February.
I received the camera back around two weeks later.. Now here is the issue...

When it was sent to them only the left AF wasn't working as well as it should. On return none of the AF points worked properly and focused behind where I aimed.

I contacted the shop and they asked for me to return it to them and all my lens(after speaking to Nikon) for them to then send it to Nikon with a note asking for the work to be done quickly.

I've recently spoken to two other user on UK photography forums who have also received there's back worse, one returned t a second time and was okay with the results then, but it was still not as good as a new camera without the issue.

Where do I stand regarding this... Even if its repaired properly the second time I'm it sure I trust it and if it comes back again not working 100% what can I do regarding this..

It's a lot of money for this model and I will already have been without a camera for over a month.

Thanks peter

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Not only are you covered by SOGA (satisfactory quality, free from defects and durable) for the purchase but also repairs must be the same and carried out in a timely manner. This will be the second time a repair has been attempted so if it isn't satisfactory, you can ask for a replacement or refund. Normally this woul be reduced to allow for use you have had from the camera but in this case the fault obviously existed from new.

Pmac1985

Mar 27, 2013
Thanks..

I've emailed them saying that I'm un satisfied with the result and even though the issue is due to Nikon to some extent, I bought it from them and would like a replacement I stead of a second repair which may agin be returned not working.

One of the other guys has just had his replaced by another photographic shop with no hassle at all so I hope mine will do similar.

I have a feeling they will refuse to do this though and will fight regarding the matter.

Pmac1985

Mar 27, 2013
I've also just been in contact with citizens advise and they have been little help and told me I have pretty much no rights regarding this issue...

I find this totally appalling to be honest. They said that as I returned it to the manufacture for repair this has void everything.. I tried to explain to them that when I bought the camera I was told by the staff that if there were any issues I should return the camera straight to the manufacture as that's all they would do and it would save time, instead of it being returned to them to then be sent on.

Sadly I knew nothing regarding my rights until it was too late it seems.

Hopefully the shop will help but I have a feeling they will tell me to get lost.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It is unfortunate that the government chose to replace Consumer Direct with CAB without, it seems, the appropriate funding or training in place. Trading Standards do not act on behalf of individuals but do often offer sound advice so not sure why they didn't in your case.

If you wish to have some evidence to give to the supplier, there is an excellent guidance document on the OFT website that is written especially for suppliers rather than consumers (which has apparently now been taken over by Trading Standards :eek: ):

Sale of Goods Act Explained

Pmac1985

Mar 27, 2013
Thanks i received an email back from them and they didn't acknowledge any of what i said.
They said they would be contacting the manufacture and another member of staff who is off before proceeding.

I replyed saying i wanted it sorted as when i sent it for them to send for repair i said on many times i needed it done ASAP as im away to asia for a month in just over 2 weeks.

i also emailed the link you posted and told them i fully think my iteam falls under these laws.