2nd hand car has outstanding finance

Opelman

Oct 17, 2016
hi,
i've just bought a 2nd hand car from a reputable dealer, which i've found out subsequently, has outstanding finance on it.
what do I do now, as its a great car.:mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
In the first instance I would go back to the mail dealer and see what he says - let us know what he says. How come this was only picked up after you bought it?

Myke

Oct 18, 2016
Hi,i would also advise to get onto your local consumer advice centre ASAP! with the relevant information.

Opelman

Oct 17, 2016
I dont think the dealer would have been aware of this; I'm collecting the car this Saturday, so will talk to him then.
Consumer Advice centre? I'll have to find out where my local one is.
i'm going to speak to the finance company about it later today to see what they have to say, then take it from there.

Myke

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, ok your local trading standards will be able to advise on the issue and it's free, their phone number and email address will be available online for your particular area. If it were me i would explain to them the matter before going to the car dealer. Good luck.

Opelman

Oct 17, 2016
thanks Myke,
i'll get onto my local trading standards today.do you think contacting the Finance company in the meantime, is worthwhile? the previous owner traded in the car for an ML Merc, so I assume she's good for the money-I hope.
Danny

Myke

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, my course of action would be to speak to Trading Standards first explaining the issue then you should be armed with the correct information. Frankly if it was me that would be my first priority, oh don't forget your local citizens advice service again free,they may be of help. good luck.

Opelman

Oct 17, 2016
I emailed my local trading standards earlier on today, and am awaiting their reply. i'll hold fire until I hear from them. I'm collecting the car this Saturday morning and I hope to be fully "genned up" before I get there.

Myke

Oct 18, 2016
Hope it all goes well, but do wait for trading standards to respond as they are always busy, if they are slow phone them.

Opelman

Oct 17, 2016
will do-thanks Myke. i'll call them on Friday if they dont reply to my email before then.:confused::confused: