2nd hand car with some issues...

allangg

Mar 18, 2014
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on a recent car purchase. I bought a 2004 Daewoo Lacetti about two weeks ago for £900 from a dealer in Glasgow. I don't know a great deal about cars but it seemed ok to me. However , a few days after buying it, the engine management light came on, and also I noticed the brakes were grinding. I'm not too bothered about the brakes as they are consumable parts, so I put it into a garage that day to have the pads changed and find out why the engine light was on. The garage called me and said the car had several serious problems, not just related to the engine light. He replaced the back pads as I asked him to, but also turned up the following faults:
Crankshaft sensor fault
O2 sensor fault
Driver front tyre below legal limit
Both rear tyres perished
Front brake discs worn thin
Both strut tops have play and noisy
Front and rear brake pipes in very poor condition
Drivers front ball joint has play
Drop link has play
The garage advised me not to use the car until I had these faults seen to. My question is, given that the car only cost £900, do I have any comeback on this? I'm not looking for a refund, I really just want the car fixed as it's a nice car. However I'm now in the situation where I can't use the car, and I can't afford to get all these things fixed right now. I accept that a car for that price is going to have some faults (which is why I haven't mentioned the fact the central locking, clock and remote fuel filler cap don't work) but I would at least expect a dealer to sell a car that wasn't dangerous to drive. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Do you have an advertisement from when you brought the car?

Don't be fobbed off with 'Sold As Seen' or 'On Trade Terms'. You have rights - the car should be as advertised and fit for purpose. Clearly the car you bought was not fit for purpose. I trust it didn't come with a new MOT, or this could land the garage who MOT'd the vehicle in serious difficulties.

You should give the dealer from whom you bought the car the opportunity to rectify the faults. If he either fails or refuses to do so, go to your local Trading Standards.

garry

Mar 23, 2014
hi i brought a sechand car back in october and its gone wrong 5 times in 5 months now its got to more problems finace company and the garage are refusing to fix it i even contacted tradingstandards and they still wont fix it im now waighting for the obudsman to deal with it borrow £5ooo know its going to cost me abaut £900 to put wright

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Was this bought from a dealer or privately? If from a dealer, do you have the advertisement? Have they had the opportunity to rectify the faults? If it is with the Ombudsman, what exactly are you wanting from this forum? :)