5G nightmare

chrissie20071

Nov 25, 2011
hello

i was wondering if any one has had any luck cancelling a "contract" with 5G

we had one of there reps walk in and unfortunelty our manager ended up signing that day which as a rule we dont usually do.

we stressed on the day that as a company our email needed to stay the same as this is were we get all our work sent through to and we were told this was fine.

a couple of weeks later we were called to say they wanted to book in to change our modem and set us up a new email address, at this point we asked them to stop and cancel as if we had to change our email they were defaulting on there end of the deal.

we have subsiquently been chased for a "cancellation charge of £4870.15 for a 36month "contract". a so called contract that only has "customer information" written at the top NOT contract. we have also been charged for 3 months of calls in which we have been told BT had our calls NOT 5G.

when i rung consumer direct this morning i was told that i am within my rights to cancel as they breached there part of the contract under the express term law......

but i have relayed this to 5G and they are having none of it and now threatening to take us to court even though it is them that have defaulted.

were do we stand now and how the hell do i get rid of these people????

any advise would be very much recieved with thanks.

chrissie20071

Nov 25, 2011
No we got 2 sheets of yellow paper with " customer information" written at the top, these are what we signed at the bottom next to the declaration but we've never had any paperwork actually entitle contract.

And we never even had a paper bill from them but they started taking money for calls before we were even aware they had taken the calls over.

We signed a direct debit thing on the yellow paper but since that day the "rep" came in we never heard another thing from them until they toke the first direct debit payment.

Andi Burnham

Dec 20, 2011
High Wycombe
Hi Chrissie,
I feel your pain! We are a business in High Wycombe with the same issues regarding 5G/Universal Telecoms or whatever they are called now!

I have spoken today with a very helpful chap called James from Ofcom regarding the best way to end a miss-sold contract. His number is 0300 123 3333 .

PHONE OFCOM AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM. MORE GENUINE COMPLAINTS EQUALS MORE ACTION FROM OFCOM AGAINST 5G.

You must then send notification to 5G of your wish to cancel the contract due to it being miss sold to you initially to the following contact details. This is taken from the 5G website. Go to their code of practice page for more info.

"1.CONTACT DETAILS

Should you, for any reason, wish to contact us in relation to this code, please contact Simon Wade who is responsible for ensuring that this code is complied with.
The direct line to our compliance officer is 0800 652 3769 or alternatively send a fax to 01494 833 819.
Go to the web page for email addresses. I cant post them in here as I am a newbie :-(

Phoenix House
Desborough Park Road
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
HP12 3BQ"

After registering your wish to terminate you should be prepared to allow 8 weeks for their reply. They may choose to accept, ignore or reject your wish to terminate without penalty.

If they fail to reply, ignore you or reject your request there is another organisation called CISAS that will offer a final judgement which 5G are bound to accept regardless of if they agree or not. You shouldn't contact CISAS until you have allowed sufficient time for 5G to respond. You can contact CISAS within the 8 week period if 5G respond in a negative way or deny your request to exit the contract without penalty.

CISAS it seems will act to stop and terminate contracts that are miss sold to consumers and take away the need to risk lots of money in expensive legal cases when you know you are in the right.

The relief I feel today knowing that OFCOM have been able to register a complaint against 5G and that we can take positive action without feeling tied in to this shocking company is immense. To know that another organisation will work with us without bias and enforce a fair end to the contract without us needing expensive lawyers and solicitors is wonderful.

Please call OFCOM, tell them about 5G and what they have done in your particular case, and then register your termination request with 5G.

I cannot wait until we can work with a different telecomms company. We have called-in the Federation of Small Businesses to identify trusted telecoms companies and I recommend you do the same so that we can all avoid unfortunate repeats of the feeling when things go wrong and you dont know how to stop it before it becomes the only thing you are doing from 9 til 5 and your actual trade suffers as a result.

I hope this is helpful

chrissie20071

Nov 25, 2011
thank you so much for all the information, i am going to get on to it a fresh when we come back in january.

I have officially sent them a letter stating we no longer need or require there services, and cancelled the "contract" based on them not being able to hold there part of the deal.

We only have 2 days left at work this year so i will get onto them in the new year.

chrissie20071

Nov 25, 2011
WE WON, the courts "struck it out" and "vacated any hearins" becuase 5G never replied to any court papers and we did.

I think 5G think that everyone will just pay up the minute you recieve the first scary looking court papers.

I think we were lucking in the fact that 5G broke their contract on 2 elements so we had grounds to cancel.

Andi Burnham

Dec 20, 2011
High Wycombe
That is fantastic news!!!!
We are slowly getting what we need and compiling a full case whilst "enjoying" their truly unrivalled levels of incompetence. Not long now :).

I am pleased to have played my small part in helping you get rid of the unpleasantness called 5G Universal Telecom and I hope that if everybody starts to become increasingly aware of them and their tactics that they will eventually either go away totally or evolve into an efficient and trustworthy company. We have to dream :).

The one good hting to come out of this for us is a new expression. Every time one of us makes a catastrophic howler, or if someone lies blatantly, we now refer to it as "doing a 5G".

Let me know who you go with next and how they treat you. We may well be keen to follow your lead very soon.

ttfn
andi

chrissie20071

Nov 25, 2011
I must admit they don't seem to be a proffesional outfit, and there staff are quite rude on the phone and unhelpful.

BT have been the best, the only reason the MD moved was because 5G promised the earth (as they say to good to be true) but even though it toke all this to get BT to lower their prices they have been brilliant with us. BT have even supported and helped us with the 5G fiasco.

I sincerly hope you get your problems with them resolved.

Again thanks

Chrissie

Georgie

May 30, 2012
Hi, we are in the same position. We have been with 5G for 4 years and now want to terminate their services. We have been told we have to give 36 months notice. Is this what would be considered a rolling contract? Apparently rolling contracts were banned last December and that any current contracts will cease to be legal as of 31st December 2012. Can we use this as a weapon again 5G? Any advice would be appreciated!

G

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
That is true for all personal and small business telecoms customers, you must be moved to an alternative contract prior to that date, obviously if they don't do this, you can cancel but if their 'alternative' is a new 12 month contract, you may well be tied in for the next 12 months at least, Ofcom do not say that you have a right to cancel only that you must be moved to an alternative deal!!!

However, it does remove the need to give 36 months notice!!!

Georgie

May 30, 2012
Thank you for your reply! They have verbally said they want 36 months notice, so we are asking for this in writing. We will try and resist their efforts until December and then see what happens. We don't have a 'contract' as what was originally signed was very similar to chrissie20071. Morally reprehensible doesn't cover it...

Meme1

May 1, 2013
Hello , google brought me to this topic :(:mad:

I have been with 5G since 2010 (sole trader - single line just for incoming), and in december they raised the prices some 20% without any warning.
I only just realised in march, spoke to them and they said they had been absorbing increasing costs from BT but now had to pass these costs on....

So I said I would be finding an alternative provider... asked if I needed a number off 5G to start the transfer - no I didn't need a number..

So I found my new provider and instructed them to start transfer.

I got a letter from 5G yesterday saying if the transfer went ahead , they would want just over £800 off me for early termination charge.!!!!

First thing I thought was early termination of what ???

Anyway following other advice on the internet I rang ofcom this morning who recorded my complaint and suggested I write to 5G to ask to be let out without penalty. and wait up to 8 weeks for 5G's response. If 5G don't play ball then I can call the communcations onbudsman

The thing is I'm at a loss how to word this letter to the best effect??
Any advice would be much appreciated because I want to leave ASAP

The cape

May 23, 2013
I to had the sales team call, promising me that nothing would change if I switched to 5 G I could have infinity broadband and the transition would be easy as flicking a switch, how wrong could they have been, they stated an engineer would be on site to ensure the swop over would be easy and all my CCTV and credit card machine would be reconnected by them, they stated the switch over would take effect on 15/5 I informed the I was away until 21/5 and to delay the switch until this date, I returned from my holiday to establish my phone was not ringing and my restaurant bookings were virtually non existent, it has been reconnected now but is unable to accept calls from the 3 network(my service provider) the credit card machine will not work if somebody is on the phone( was not like this prior to switch over) all in all a complete disaster I have lost £2000.00 in revenue due to no incoming calls to make bookings, I have cancelled my DD with 5 G until such time as I have got some satisfaction. Avoid this company like the plague, advice please re how to get out of the contract and revert back to XLN telecom

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If there is any loss of the service in your contract they are in breach of that contract and you can walk away from it with no penalty. They may tell you otherwise but that is the case.

simon80

Oct 9, 2013
Hi All,

Like some of you on here I have found this site simply by searching on Google for 5G Communications.

I wonder if any one here can offer any advice with this tail of woe...

I am asking for advice on behalf of my parents. They run a small business with sub 10 employees when one day an 'engineer' appeared to inspect their phone systems. A few technical drawings later and some fabricated truths about BT, wholesale and fiber optic upgrades my mother had been convinced to sign up to 5G.

Recently I have started to work for myself and my parents asked if I could help them upgrade their computer system and take a look at their network. When I went to install the computer systems I was surprised to see a full on VoIP phone system installed. That's when I found out what had happened.

Moments later I found this thread and immediately wrote to 5G to notify them of my parents wish to terminate the contract. This letter reached 5G yesterday and an operative from the company phoned the office to speak to me. After some phone tag I managed to get through to her about 30 minutes ago. She refused to speak to me regarding the termination requested and stated that she just wanted to get the issues created on site by 5G fixed before they would comment any further. She also told me that 5G would only speak to a company director or company secretory regarding this matter. She also informed me that she had tapes of phone conversations between 5G and my mother where they had explained what was happening and my mother agreeing to their T&Cs.

My dad is of the opinion that since they gave up complaining in the early part of the contract and 18 months have now passed that there is very little point in trying to get out of this contract.

My point is that they only signed up to it because of the fiction 5G spun in order to get them to sign. 5G also said that the lease for the equipment is nothing to do with 5G so regardless they would not settle out of that.

What I want is 5G to cancel the contract with no penalties, the equipment to be removed and the finance refunded and a written letter of apology from 5G.

Is there a statute of limitations when trying remove a provider that mis-sold their solution?

As previously mentioned in this thread I have given 5G 8 weeks to respond one way or another. Failing that I will approach the CISAS.

Any feedback on this would be greatly received.

Simon

Cherub10

Oct 30, 2013
I was contacted to say that our business now qualified for access to fibre optic broadband and that a service engineer could come out free of charge and assess our system with a view to switching over. Two guys from 5G came out and undertook a survey of the system, confirmed this was possible and at the same time audited my bills and gave me a reduction on charges
It transpires that everything I was told was a lie, they came in under false pretences, we do not have access to fibre optic. They very cleverly switch your lines (approx 4 days after they have been and before the current provider has been notified) to make it more difficult for you to get out of the contract. There is no cooling off period just a straight three months payment to leave.
DO NOT LET THEM IN THE ENGINEERS ARE SALES PEOPLE - DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT - IF YOU HAVE, GET STRAIGHT ONTO YOUR PROVIDER TO BLOCK THE TRANSFER OF LINES AND GET THEM VIA LCR PROGRAMMING TO STOP THEM GETTING YOUR CALLS. My provider Southern Telecomms have been amazing at unravelling their deceit and have acted like a professional organisation something 5G will NEVER be

safarules

Jan 15, 2014
Lots of experience for working with this unscrupulous bussiness. It stinks from the owner Michael Holland down. His sales staff are hard hitting cold calling using some underhand techniques not fully disclosing their contract fully. THERES A 36 BUY OUT CLAUSE ON CONTRACT SO DO NOT SIGN.
If you find yourself not getting anywhere try 07974 981350 Michael the owner or 07974 981371 Melisa his spoilt brat of a daughter who pretends shes clever but is really thick. There business has not only ruined lots of other small firms by cheating them into a contract but they have also been a terrible employer to many mant people ... They used to be called UNIVERSAL GROUP a company that was forever being slapped for there sales and training techniques.
Business beware even if you do sign up there product and backup is appalling .....