Acre Laptop Repair issue

Hippo1

Jun 2, 2012
Hiya! - Acer Laptop Repair

We brought our laptop in Dec 2011, and last month the HDD failed, we rang the helpline and they talked us through how to reset the system but it wasn't doing anything, so they asked us to pack it up and they'd send a courier to collect it.

The gentleman on the telephone asked me several questions about the laptop, was there any other visual damage etc and explained that if there was there would be a charge, I quite clearly told him that the only thing wrong with the laptop was that it wouldn't boot, visually it was perfect. He went on to explain that they would text me with updates as and when they worked on the laptop.

I packed the laptop up, using a box which was a very similar size, I wrapped it several times over in bubble wrap and sealed the box. The laptop was wedged, it didn't move in the box. I carry on to seal the box, it was in perfect condition.

The courier collected it 2 days later, fri 25th, over the weekend we heard nothing, Monday I received an email and text message telling me they had received it, after this point we heard nothing until I received a letter off them today,

They explain in their very poor English, that the HDD had failed and they had ordered the part, fitted it and reset the laptop. Underneath there is a quote to repair the damage to the upper casing, WHAT DAMAGE???? There was NO damage to the laptop when it was packed and there is NO way it would have moved in he box I had packed it in, it was wedged.

I have tried to ring their 24 hour line but haha they are closed (surprise surprise)

Any suggestions on how I can tackle this do we have a leg to stand on? Should I speak to the manager directly?

Any help will be greatly received!

Regards, Hippo1

Last edited:

RJvans

Jun 2, 2012
I believe in this case, you would need to prove it wasnt damaged on dispatch, and provide pictures of the packaging used, to claim costs of repairs from the courier, If the item was signed for as damaged at the other end, and you have evidence it was in excellent condition on dispatch, then the people you returned it to would be responsible.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I believe in this case, you would need to prove it wasnt damaged on dispatch, and provide pictures of the packaging used, to claim costs of repairs from the courier, If the item was signed for as damaged at the other end, and you have evidence it was in excellent condition on dispatch, then the people you returned it to would be responsible.
Partially correct, however:
It is not up to you to claim from couriers, under the Law of Negligence, you can tell the laptop repairs that they have been negligent in failing their duty of care to your laptop - even though it may have been damaged by the courier. As they booked the courier and organised delivery, it is still their care, and not yours. Demand photographic proof of the damage, and state that you wish to have the damage repaired free of charge due to their negligent acts.
If they refuse, pay for the repair, and take them to the SCC for the costs.
(also threaten them with the SCC if they refuse).

You are WELL within your rights. I was in a similar position when selling my laptop, it arrived to the buyer in a terrible condition, they backed out of the fight when I was filling out court forms.