Asus laptop faulty outside warranty

FightingBack91

Jan 12, 2013
Hiya,

This is my first post so please tell me if I am posting in the wrong place etc!

I brought a Asus laptop from Very.co.uk around July 2011. Worked fine until around Christmas 2012, in which it wouldn't charge when plugged in. (very common problem with laptops apparently)

I presumed that Very.co.uk had no obligation to help with this as it had been so long, so I contacted Asus, who basically want to charge £xx price to look at it then £xx to fix it. (apparently need to replace the motherboard which will cost a small fortune)

My problem lies with the fact that the machine, which cost me £399, is not even two years old, and surely this isn't right. I have been trying to read and understand myself but has gotten slightly confused. I came across a 'how long should it last' page and I get the feeling I might be onto something here.

My main point is that a product I brought costing £399 should not have a life span of not even two years? Just needed help and on advice on who to contact and what to say to them about getting a repair or replacement?

Thanks in Advance..:)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
We have had this debate before and I think we agreed the lifespan of a laptop would be 3-4 years, this isn't a guess btw.

As you are obviously aware, your contract is with the supplier and you should return it to them to sort. Make sure you go armed with the facts from SOGA and see what they say.
If you don't get any joy, give us a shout and we'll help you with the next steps.

doshihit

May 2, 2013
Hi

Even I had same issue, I did send my Laptop to ASUS and have got a mail from them confirming it is faulty part rather then misuse but they will not do it as it is outside warranty can you please advice me what is the best thing to do

Thanks

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi

Even I had same issue, I did send my Laptop to ASUS and have got a mail from them confirming it is faulty part rather then misuse but they will not do it as it is outside warranty can you please advice me what is the best thing to do

Thanks
Under the Sale of Goods Act, all goods must be 'durable' under S.14 "Satisfactory Quality".
If you believe that the goods should last longer than what they have - by taking into account all relevant circumstances, then there shall be a breach of S.14 .

The relevant circumstances can be , but not limited to, the price paid, your expectations, any product claims made, the item descriptions or from what a sales person has led you to believe.

Hope this helps.
Adan

John Didshaw

Nov 12, 2013
With mine it turned out i was out of warranty in the end, and the retailers were harsh against the "Fit for purpose" speech i had ready unfortunately.

Was looking at various repairs in the local area, but alas many were no good.
Anyone had any luck with the courier service repairs such as here. yourlaptopexpert.co.uk

andersonsophie_89

Apr 26, 2014
How can the retailer know if the item has not been used properly and carefully and if a part of the laptop is definately faulty. Ie. Ive seen people use their laptop without laptop stands for a long period of time, so the fan is covered. Is there a place where we can do to get this inspected and go back to the reailer with the results

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you could give us some further detail on the problem, we may be able to advise better. You are covered in addition to the warranty by SOGA but if the seals on the laptop are broken, proving it has been opened, it may void your warranty.