ASUS motherboard

Mackem

Jul 23, 2012
OK, so I purchased an ASUS motherboard back in December from Scan.co.uk. The motherboard had bent pins. I contacted the retailer and they send out a replacement board and got me to send the old one back afterwards.

They claim that when they got it back, the tracks were broken and thus they had to throw the motherboard away as it was beyond repair.

Anyway, I got the replacement motherboard installed and in basic terms, my memory (RAM) wouldn't run at the full speed that it should. After doing various troubleshooting methods recommended by Scan, they decided that the best course of action would be to send the motherboard, processor and memory back to them for testing (Memory issues can be caused by any of the three).

They got the motherboard back and told me there was damage to the motherboard and that I'd have to pay £30 to get it repaired. I was slightly confused as to how the damage had happened as I certainly didn't notice it or damage it on purpose. I was without my motherboard for 4 weeks and was rarely notified of the progress.

They claimed that they had tested the motherboard with my memory and it was running at full speed. However, when I got everything back, the memory still wouldn't run at the full speed so I am back to square one.

I am annoyed and wondering if there was anything I can do? I've basically paid £30 and sat without a computer for 4 weeks only for the same issue to re-occur. They tested the memory in a different motherboard and it worked fine so the slots where the memory goes must be duff.

They obviously didn't test everything or didn't test it thoroughly enough or they've just blatantly lied to me. I contacted them and told them that I was having the same issue and I even contacted the manufacturer (ASUS) who told me to try troubleshooting steps that I've already tried. I have received no reply from the retailer themselves as of yet.

I was wondering if there was any way I could get a refund, replacement or store credit to buy a different brand of motherboard and whether this was within my consumer rights or not? Sorry for the extremely long post, but I'm not too good with stuff relating to consumer rights and advice so I thought I'd ask somewhere that knew more than me.

Thanks.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The motherboard should be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, it obviously isn't so you are entitled to refund repair or replacement, the choice is yours as the fault was apparent from the start, I certainly wouldn't have paid to have the 'damage' repaired without proof that is was free from fault at purchase (which it obviously wasn't)

Mackem

Jul 23, 2012
Thank you for the reply. The damage that they found that needed repairing, and thus paid for, was not related to the memory issue, but to 'bent pins'. Is there any laws/acts I can reference if they try and play funny? As I said, I'm not too clued up about consumer rights. The memory issue with the replacement motherboard was not there from the start and happened a couple of weeks after I got the replacement. Does this mean I can claim that it was not fit for purpose? Would I have to prove this with the purchase being over 6 months ago?

Mackem

Jul 23, 2012
I have written a letter than I plan on sending to the retailer (Scan Computers). I was just wondering if I could send it to someone and they could take a look over it to see if it's ready to send? I want to make sure all of my info on statutory rights etc. is correct.