Bought car today, repair or refund query

J3nks05

Jan 4, 2014
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice

Today I bought my husband a second hand car £3550 on debit card, it came with a 30day warranty for work up to £150 from a small local dealer the online advert described the car as "in great condition throughout" and "a great example"

I took the car straight to my mechanic for a full service where he found two problems which will cost around £600 to fix (totally trust my mechanic I've used him for my own car for years)

I called dealer and told him what had been found and asked if he would fix or if He wanted me to get it done and bill him

Obviously he wants their own mechanic to take a look and I'm dropping the car back with them tomorrow for their mechanic to look at Monday , he also said "I don't know if our warranty will cover that "

Now ideally what I would like to happen is that the dealer pays for the repair and my husband can get on with driving back and fore to work

But if dealer tells me their warranty doesn't cover the repair and they are not going to pay for it I will want to return car and have a full refund

So I would like your advice on my consumer rights

1) if they wont pay to repair Am I entitled to full refund and compensation for payment of the servicing, taxing car and setting up insurance policy

2) do I have rights to insist they pay for the repair / compensate me for paying for the repair ?

Hope I've explained this ok !
Thanks !

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
By law they have to rectify the faults as they were present when purchased,replace the car or give a full refund.
The warranty is irrelevant and it is up to the dealer to sort this out.
Also,ask your mechanic to document the faults he found for you and contact trading standards and open a complaint as back up if you encounter any problems and have to take it further,but hopefully not.
I have a similar issue at the moment.
Good luck.

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
I obtained a refund a couple of days ago regarding my faulty car purchase recently.
How did you get on?