British & Irish consumers extortionate fees on eBay.co.uk, READ HERE & SAVE MONEY!

eBayRipOff

Apr 20, 2012
I will get to the point quickly, not many will be aware of this, unless you have been a business seller on eBay.

The main point is when buying on eBay, searching and shopping, to get the best price for UK based products, YOU MUST MAKE ADVANCED SEARCH, AND SEARCH FOR ITEMS LOCATED IN THE UK OR SEARCH ON EBAY.COM AND NOT EBAY.CO.UK, BECAUSE BUYING FROM BRITISH SELLERS ON EBAY.CO.UK WILL COST YOU MORE MONEY, BECAUSE OF EBAY.CO.UK SELLER FEES ARE NEARLY 10% HIGHER THEN THE REST OF THE WORLD!

But unless you do this Advanced eBay search or use eBay.com, eBay.co.uk will block you from being able to see these products located and sold in the UK.

Last May 2011, eBay.co.uk and ebay Irleand decided to put up the final value fee (sales fee) on eBay for business sellers.

The reason for this was according to eBay was:
Simpler, flat final value fees (hereafter FVF) will make it easier to predict and calculate your eBay fees when you successfully sell an item.

Benefits of the simpler final value fee structure include:
Flat final value fees
Simpler price structuring
More transparent fees
Easier to manage your business

With few exceptions the FVF was increased from an average of around 3 -4% on products at certain values to 10 - 12% on most products with few exceptions. This meant on an item valued at £500, the increase would be from £15 to £60
(in addition comes Paypal fees if you used Paypal to pay)

If the item you purchased cost £1500, the fee increase would be £45 to £180, last example to illustrate this, item purchased at £3000 would go from £90 to £360 in fees. We are looking at fee increases of 300 - 400% in these cases, in addition add approx. 3% for Paypal fees, which means every sale on eBay from a British or Irish business seller will have their prices increased with at least 15% compared to the normal market value, to be able to cover these NEW increased fees!

However you might say that the trader should adapt, source cheaper products etc., end of the day, only solution is to increase the prices on the products.

Now this would be ok if ALL eBay sellers would get the same fee structure, at least within Europe, as part of the EU is supposed to be that we are competing on level terms. However here eBay have made an exception, eBay UK and eBay Ireland have set these extremely high prices exclusively for eBay.co.uk business sellers.

USA, have an approx. fee structure on average of around 3% (scaled depending on value of products sold)

All European countries, except UK and Ireland have the same, this means sellers in Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, Italy, Spain etc. only pay fees on average of approx. 3 % on higher priced products.

eBay have an option where sellers can list on the eBay USA platform, called eBay.com, if I advertise on this part of their platform, my product will be visible in the USA and parts of Europe, with exception of the United Kingdom. Because eBay UK wants that if product is located in the UK, that it is advertised/listed on eBay.co.uk, this way you will be charged the higher fixed flat fee of 10 or 12% when product is sold.

So eBay BLOCKS UK business sellers from advertising on their eBay.com (USA) site, for selling in the UK (if sold from eBay.com site, we would only need to pay 3% in fees) , but not good as UK potential buyers will not find our products on eBay in the UK when searching, due to eBay's blockage of this.
This means we are forced to list on eBay.co.uk, if we are going to be able to attract UK customers, and they are going to be able to find our products when searching on eBay platform.

Now ANYBODY from Europe, does NOT have this restriction when listing on eBay.com, or in the case they list on their own national eBay site in Europe, they can select international sales, and the advert will show up in the UK amongst all the UK sellers who is advertising on eBay.co.UK.
However the major issue is that these sellers, from outside the UK, or only paying on average 3% in sales fees, while we have to pay 12%! This clearly makes it an uneven playing field for us British business vs European business.

I seriously believe there must be a breach of European Law with eBay, as they are putting ALL British based business in a serious disadvantage! We are NOT competing on a level playing field with our EU neighbours, why are sellers from outside UK getting special treatment? It clearly seems eBay has an agenda against UK business, and are misusing their power.

They would never dare to do this Europe, because eBay's position there is not as strong as in the UK, this for me seems to be entrapment, they make business adapt and create a business model that works, and with 3 months notice they change their fee structure, which example for me, would mean 300 - 500% increase in Final Sales Fees to the eBay.

Now the British government must actively work to assist to help protect British business, and they have not with regards to eBay, eBay have been allowed to bully thousands of British business, brought us to our knees, sent plenty out of business, with these unfair and uneven conditions.

I understand if they had done it the same all over the world or Europe, however fact is that they only did this for UK and Ireland!

Another year like this, and my business will be finish, that's the way it is heading, and the main reason is that the British government has not been able to make sure that all business in Europe are kept on an equal level, British consumers have to pay 9% to buy a product from British companies in the UK, than if they purchased the same product from any country within EU or the rest of the world!

Under the article 101, all agreements between undertakings, decisions by association of undertaking and concerted practices are considered as anti competitive practices.
Under the article 102, any abuse of a dominant position in the internal market is considered as anti-competitive practice. Please note that it is the abuse which is sanctioned and not the sole dominant position.

“Such abuse may, in particular, consist in:

(a) directly or indirectly imposing unfair purchase or selling prices or other unfair trading conditions;
(b) limiting production, markets or technical development to the prejudice of consumers;
(c) applying dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions with other trading parties, thereby placing them at a competitive disadvantage;
(d) making the conclusion of contracts subject to acceptance by the other parties of supplementary obligations which, by their nature or according to commercial usage, have no connection with the subject of such contracts.”

Thanks for the rant, however this is also to help you save money, as I feel there is a deep injustice, when UK business and British consumers, get targeted to pay more than the rest of Europe, where I was lead to believe the whole point was creating en equal and level playing field, evidently us in the UK are being taken for a ride by the giants of eBay!

If you follow my advice, the savings will at least be of 10%, I would encourage people to stop using eBay.co.uk, until eBay decides to put UK and Ireland back in line with the rest of their divisions within the EU, end of the day, the sellers have to increase their prices to facilitate such fee increases!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Re: British & Irish consumers extortionate fees on eBay.co.uk, READ HERE & SAVE MONEY

Interesting post, seems like a good way to kill ebay off in the UK too if it's true (not saying I don't believe you, just have no way of proving it). Stopped using e-bay a good while ago myself both because of the fees and because of the unscrupulous users (both buyers and sellers) I also don't trust Paypal as far as I could throw them.

This seems like a good story to take to the papers, an investigative journalist would make short work of it and certainly give it the publicity it seems to be worth.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Re: British & Irish consumers extortionate fees on eBay.co.uk, READ HERE & SAVE MONEY

I agree, interesting post.

Maybe you should contact your MP and ask for advice or Business Link etc.

eBay always have a court case going on somewhere if you check. I don't like eBay myself and the fees have now put my daughter off selling her business goods this way.

When it started it had the right idea and then a big corporation got hold of it and decided it was was going to fleece it users.

eBayRipOff

Apr 20, 2012

I have contacted my MP, did it once last year, he told me he would contact the business minister, however nothing came out of it.
I have recently contacted my MP again with an updated version of events, so I am waiting for a response on this case shortly from him, however it does seem lack of interest to get something moving on this.

I know of many people who have been driven out of business because of this.

You have to love these reasons for changing the fee structure as they did:

Simplified final value fees

From May 2011, we are simplifying the final value fee structure.

Whether you choose to sell in auction-style or fixed price, your final value fee will be a flat percentage of the final selling price, which varies depending on the category you sell in.

Choose the format that is best for your item: there will no longer be a final value fee difference between auction-style and fixed price listings.

Simpler, flat final value fees will make it easier to predict and calculate your eBay fees when you successfully sell an item.

Benefits of the simpler final value fee structure include:
Flat final value fees
Simpler price structuring
More transparent fees
Easier to manage your business

-----------------------------------------------------------

A few categories did get better, however these are now being increased this year as far as I have read from eBay seller updates;

Full list can be seen on the link I provided. As far as I can see, the only category who became better was Tech, which I believe now is being increased to 5%, need to check those stats. However everything else is between 8 - 12% (most items ending in the 10 - 12% bracket)

There seems to be an overwhelming task to get ANY answers from eBay, I have in the past sent countless of letters, requesting answers with regards to these issues, however no response is ever replied.

Actually in my personal case, I used to be a big seller, having people employed for me, I have had to let them go, lost any real support in eBay, Power seller status gone, discounts gone, and it now seems eBay are not interested in the people that they canvassed to get our business, to spend money on their selling platform, and with 3 months notice last year, they suddenly gave us terms and conditions that was/is impossible to live with!

Any advice where else to go would be appreciated, eBay is a monstrous machine who don't want to stand accountable to anybody it seems!

I tried to post the links to show where these issues are, but was not possible because not enough posts!

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire

eBayRipOff

I know how frustrating it is believe me. I have been absent off this forum for many months because of issues with a business that decided to buy a domain in my name and them use for it malicious falshood and defamation claims. I managed to get the ISP to remove two associated domains and twitter removed the offending account.

I have, since October, been writing my own blog in reply to the unscrupulous antics of this person which can be found at How One Man Brought The Preservation Industry Into Disrepute. He must has numerous unpaid court judgements and consumer complaints but he still manages to trade on.

My blog has had somewhere in the region of 13,700 hits since January and has turned into a proper part time job. Maybe you should start a blog and with the right SEO it should like mine get high on the Google rankings.

Fight on brother!:)

eBayRipOff

Apr 20, 2012

Thanks Trickygj, certainly interested in the blog, need to find out how that works out.

One of the main issues with eBay, is their refusal to respond to any questions like this. You can send them message after message, but no response! I would like to get in touch with an investigative journalist, one of the issues with this is the way eBay rule their company.

They have a very fascist way of dealing with problems, if you make some noise, they will simply ban you from their site, so it is not a good idea to come out in public either, as the consequences might be dire for an already slow business!

However personally I put 10 years into the business, maybe i got complacent and got caught napping, but in the space of 3 months eBay UK changed their rules to the extreme. For me personally the fees increased with 300 - 500%!

Sure I should have been aware, but we was over many years entrapped into this business model with eBay, and that this was the best online platform. I know of people who sold their high street business, to setup at home offices and loads of people working just online for them, spending several thousands of pounds, to then suddenly with little warning (3 months), that such drastic changes.

Taking eBay to court seems daunting, but personally I feel pretty strong about this issue, as it has put my families life at risk, and I have had to re-structure, innovate myself, and look for all tricks to be able to solve the imminent issue, and that's to keep getting an income!

I am currently in my mid 40's, and since I was 21 I have been self-employed, and never taken any handouts from the government, and I feel very upset that one company like eBay is allowed to discriminate between it's own customers.

The hardest ones to compete with are from the USA, as they have with current exchange rates and these and these great differences in fees, they are stealing much of the market in the UK, although buyer beware, there can be some nasty custom surprises, however not everybody is aware of this.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire

eBayRipOff

I was a novice when I started in September 2011. I now have several blogs and it is very addictive. You can blog anoymously and as long as you state the truth then eBay would be unlikely to be able to do anything about it. From what you say on this forum your knowledge is very good on the how the system works and even about customs etc. If you SEO it right (and I do my own now) you will creep up the rankings and people will start to visit you. people make money out of blogging. I have another which advertises amazon and adsense.

It is a way to let off steam. I think the best is wordpress.com and blogger.com. Wordpress doesn't allow adsense but blogger does. Wordpress is easier to get up the search engine rankings and if you do simple things you will get there. I have also done pieces on ezine articles which is a publishing platform.

if you need any help just ask.

eBayRipOff

Apr 20, 2012

Thanks for that, yes I would very much appreciate some help, I believe I might have sent you an email, was not able to PM, not enough posts yet.