Broken Tablet not covered by warranty

cevans411

Sep 13, 2014
Hi guys, would really appreciate peoples thoughts and advice on an issue I'm having with a Google Nexus (2013) tablet with a cracked screen.

I had the tablet for about 8 months before the screen broke. I was going to the library at uni and put the tablet in my bag. The bag was packed reasonably tightly with books and notes but by no means was rammed and stuffed. Before leaving I took the tablet out again to quickly check my emails but found that the tablet had broken. I should add that at no point was the bag dropped or banged.

I have always taken extreme care with the tablet (one of the reasons this is so annoying), it has always lived in a case and, other than the cracked screen, is in immaculate condition. The crack formation is symmetrical, originating from a point in the centre at each side of the screen (rather than from a corner which would be typical from a dropped device). My conclusion is that the tablet must have undergone some slight torsion in the bag, twisting and leading to the glass giving in.

I've had a lot of back and forth with John Lewis about getting it fixed under warranty. They say they will pay for none of it (because Asus, the manufacturer, won't cover it and say it's accidental damage). I think this is completely ridiculous because I have used the product how it is meant to be used, I don't see how I could have prevented this and I have taken the utmost care looking after it. I've said to them many times that the sale of goods act states that a product must be of suitable quality and fit for purpose. In my opinion if a portable computing device can't go in a bag without breaking then neither is fit for purpose, nor is it of sufficient quality; if the case is so flimsy that under slight pressure is twists and doesn't hold rigid to protect the screen then it's badly designed. I was told that since it lasted 8 months then it is actually fit for purpose and there is nothing that can be done to protect the screen properly as glass is just so fragile. The issue is that obviously this isn't a common form of damage to their tablet so they must assume that I was subjecting it to excessive force.

What does everyone think? Shall I hand in an official complaint and pursue this further. I feel like John Lewis should at least pay for some of the repair (especially since they're known for having such good customer service). Or is this a lost cause and I should accept what's happened?

Many thanks in advance guys and sorry for the longer recount of the story!

Callum

Sep 22, 2014
I am surprised that John Lewis aren't being good about this! Ok you can't prove that you didn't drop the tablet BUT the customer is always right and I thought John Lewis would respect that. If it were me I would complain officially and take it further...they are however a big company that can afford to fight you but I sincerely doubt they will bother over a tablet with the amount of money they have. Good luck whatever you decide to do.