Builder threatening us for court

sarvick

Dec 1, 2021
Hiya everyone hope some one can help us.
We did get a quote from a builder for removing of load bearing wall to extend our Kitchen dining room, he did come and have a look at the property and quoted us price of £4500, we did not ask any one for price comparison and was happy with his quote assuming that's the right price.
one day he called me that he need measurements to order the steel and later he confirmed up the measurements of steel by accessing the property from estate agents.
Now we have the keys of house and unfortunately we are having a budget issue and I did ask him to reduce the price and if he can't we have to give up on job and here is his response.

Every-time we wanted an updates he was not replying to my messages and i kept calling him but no response, Until i texted him saying that I have a budget issue and only can carry the work if he can reduce the price he quoted us before, he then replied saying the steel has been ordered for £1500 and now there is no way of going back, but there is a message him saying to me that he needs to order the steel and i need to pay £1500 in his account and he can start the work, so i texted him back if the steel is not ordered can we cancel the job, he replied by saying that steels ordered and we need to pay for it.
He said i did confirm on text about work and hence he went ahead and now i owe him that money or else he will send me a letter from his solicitors and if not dealt within 7 days he will take me to court and it will affect my credit history etc.

Meanwhile he did text me saying the estate agent is hot, i need to get her number, he's shy and is there any way i can help, i thought it was odd from a builder and not a professional enough from his side to behave like that.

The work was about to start by 2nd dec and today he replied the steel needs to be ordered i need to put money in his account, and then texting me the steel is ordered and he has paid for it already and once i pay for the steel he will get it delivered at my place without any work being carried out.

So May i ask the experts here, if just confirming by text about work and agreeing and him not responding about text and calls, there was no contract signed and neither there was any money paid in advance, has he got the rights to take me to courts.

Thank you In advance

Last edited: