Car sale family dispute

acrocks

Jul 15, 2014
My daughter bought a Ka in January 2012 for £500 but then failed her test twice so it sat on my drive unused. My son's girlfriend then said she would like to buy it and they agreed on £250. She paid my daughter about £100 towards it, both in cash and bits of clothes that they agreed a price on. The car remained on my drive though, and my son cleaned it and looked after it. We heard earlier this year, about April 2014, that the girlfriend was looking at other cars. At no time did she tell my daughter that she no longer wanted the Ka. I asked my son what she was going to do with it and he said it was my problem. I got the car scrapped in June 2014 and my daughter got £80 for it. My son has now said that my daughter should pay the £100 back to his girlfriend. I disputed this as I say they had entered into a verbal contract and she should have taken the car instead of leaving it on my drive for 2 years. Who is right? Advice please!

KimE

Nov 4, 2014
Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim