carpet pile reversal

pac

Aug 25, 2011
I found this thread both interesting and worrying!
Our new carpet was fitted four months ago and was showing pile reversal after only two months. We now have a wavy line down the centre of the hall floor where the pile changes. Our supplier is coming to view it next week and has said he plans to involve the manufacturers. The carpet is 80/20, light coloured and from a well known UK company.
Wish me luck!

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Hi
Just found this forum after looking for Reverse Pile. I am experiencing the same problem. My carpet is 12 months old I noticed the problem months ago but thought it was the lighting. Anyway I got in touch with manufacturers(we bought direct from our local carpet manufacturer who supplied the previous carpet for this room) who sent me a report about Pile reversal. What can I do my lounge/dining room looks awful, the carpet cost over £1000 due to size of the room, and I can't afford to replace it. Any advice please. Thanks

pac

Aug 25, 2011
Update to post Aug 2011.

Fortunately both the supplier and manufacturer responded quickly to my complaint of pile reversal. Since August the carpet manufacturer has arranged an independent inspection which confirmed that some of the problem is pile reversal and the rest is just shading where we walk.
Luckily I had chosen a carpet from a UK manufacturer who provides a first class service to its customers. I have gratefully accepted their offer to replace the carpets which have pile reversal and the hall, stairs and landing will be refitted next week.
It will be interesting to see if the pile reversal occurs again.
I'll keep you posted!

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Good for you pac.
Can I be really nosy and ask what area you live in? The only reason I ask is because the report they sent me about carpet reversal shows a house with hall and stairs effected by reverse pile and wondered if it was the same manufacturer.

pac

Aug 25, 2011
Good for you pac.
Can I be really nosy and ask what area you live in? The only reason I ask is because the report they sent me about carpet reversal shows a house with hall and stairs effected by reverse pile and wondered if it was the same manufacturer.
bigjohn, I don't think my location is relevant. The carpet is from a well known company that manufactures in the UK. It is 80/20 wool twist in a taupe (dark beige) colour. I think the problem could occur with any make of carpet, wool or polypropylene, and any colour. Have you read the Carpet Foundation web site for more information?
We are planning on using large rugs on top of the carpet in the lounge and dining room to minimise the areas that show the shading. Not exactly what we planned but we don't have any other ideas. Hopefully the new hall carpet will look better, but there are no guarantees!

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Hi Pac
Just wondered if it could be the same manufacturer. I will have a look at the web site. we only have the opinion of the manufacturer that it is reverse pile. Going to ring them tomorrow to ask were we go from here. Fingers crossed but think they are not going to do anything about it.
John

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
I have been on the Carpet Foundation website Can't find anything about reverse pile am I looking in the right place. My manufacturer does not seem to be a member. Is it worth having a an inspection report done? Hope your carpet looks good and doesn't have the same problem.

pac

Aug 25, 2011
I have been on the Carpet Foundation website Can't find anything about reverse pile am I looking in the right place. My manufacturer does not seem to be a member. Is it worth having a an inspection report done? Hope your carpet looks good and doesn't have the same problem.
John, Sorry to hear that your manufacturer is not a member. Free extended 2 year guarantees are provided by Carpet Foundation manufacturers for manufacturing faults and pile reversal (see OFT code of practice on CF web site). Mine isn't either, so claims are possible. My complaint was dealt with by my retailer as my 'contract' was with him, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer arranged the independent inspection and I am really pleased with the outcome.
Had you heard of pile reversal before you bought your carpet? I hadn't and it wasn't mentioned by any salesman I spoke to before choosing my carpets!

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Hi Pac
No I have never heard of pile reversal before. We bought direct from the manufacturer, having dealt with them before, in fact have three other carpets supplied by them with no problems, including having the lounge/dining room carpet that was fitted previously in the lounge ( it was damaged and replaced) re-fitted on the stairs and is still looking good. I have spoken to the carpet manufacturer today and he said that he has not forgotten me and will ring me back. Still hoping for a good outcome as about 40% of the area of the carpet is effected and it looks awful.

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Well still waiting for them to ring me back. Why do i not have a good feeling about this?

pac

Aug 25, 2011
Update
My replacement carpet was fitted last week. It's a slightly darker shade of beige but I can live with that. It looked wonderful when the fitters had finished but I can already see some shading appearing in the same places because that is where we have to walk on it! I also decided to change the underlay in case that was contributing to the pile reversal problem. Only time will tell.

bigjohn, don't give up now. Call the manufacturer again. Your carpet is not a very good advert for the company.

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Thanks Pac
I hope your carpet doesn't develop the problem. It's like waiting for a axe to fall. I bet you have spent all your time looking at it from all directions to see wether it is your imagination or not.

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Carpet Manufacturer has contacted us to say he has not forgotten and is trying to contact someone who specializes in cleaning carpets with this problem with special brushes and has had success. Do you know if this method has been successful still a bit doubtful.
BigJohn

pac

Aug 25, 2011
Hi, bigjohn. How was your problem resolved?
You may be interested to know that my replacement carpet shows the same shading and pile problems as the first lot! There doesn't seem to be anyway of avoiding it.
Do you think anyone has found a plain carpet that looks good for years?
pac

bigjohn

Nov 16, 2011
Hi
Still waiting to hear from carpet manufacturer(he still hasn't forgotten my problem) but my daughter recently purchased a carpet from same manufacturer after 5 weeks showed signs of pile reversal it was replaced last week so we are waiting to see what happens.The funny thing is that she had the whole house done in the same carpet but only a small piece at the top of the stairs was affected. I have had a few plain carpets from this manufacturer over the last 25 years and this is the first problem I have had. As for my daughter are we just really unlucky. You must be gutted to have it happen again and I must admit it does worry me that it might happen again to me , apparently darker carpets are not affected as much.