Engagement Ring Not Fit For Purpose - Do I have rights??

eke1980

Jun 22, 2012
I have now owned my engagement ring for 3 years. Within the first couple of months the main solitaire stone fell out - luckily I found it. The basket it sits in was broken. I took it back to the shop and had a real battle to get it fixed, and to get it fixed at their expense. They were very rude and unhelpful and I had to fight every step of the way, but reluctantly they sorted it. The shoulders have small stones set in them too. A few weeks ago, I noticed one had fallen out - wasnt so lucky - it was lost. The edge of the shoulder (I'm told its called the bridge) had snapped, allowing the stone to fall out. We took it to a jeweller we trust and paid to have it fixed. My concern is what he told us when we collected it. He said the gold on the whole bridge is extremely thin and brittle for the amount of stones it is holding, and that it is inevitable that in time other breakages will occur and more stones will get lost. Now to me, this renders the ring unfit for purpose - how can I have an engagement ring, which is obviously meant to be worn everyday, that I will constantly have to be careful with and check for fear of losing more stones? I said to my husband that I would put it away in a drawer and only wear it for special occasions, but then I thought - why should I?! Do I have any rights to go back to the jeweller and complain about the durability on the product? This is potentially going to cost a lot of money to fix over the years - the latest repair already set us back £70. Could the jewellers I bought it from be liable for that, or to compensate us or something? Any advice gratefully recieved!

BillyJean

Jan 17, 2022
Thank you for telling me about it. Do you happen to know where you can find good wedding rings? I want to get married soon, but I don't even have rings yet!