Everest Roofline mis-sold

Tim Perrin

Apr 19, 2021
In November/December 2020 I had some dormer windows replaced and all the soffits and gutters around my house. When the salesman and his manager came to my house they made a big deal about Everest doing a better job than other companies and showed me their brochure where it showed pictures of several rows of tiles being removed and a special eaves guard being fitted that has a rigid plastic part that is inserted under the felt and stops any sagging of the felt and deflects water from the roof and any water under the tiles into the gutter. This is a major part of the brochure, and they told me that no other company does this. When the fitters arrived to install the soffits etc they told me that the surveyor had ordered/listed the wrong eaves guard and that they would not be removing tiles etc. It was bad weather so they said they would return the next day and show me the part they wanted to use. This turned out to be comb that tits on top the soffit to allow ventilation and stop birds getting in. It didn't even include a drip deflector. I said that I wasn't happy with that but allowed then to fit the soffits etc around one dormer so that I could see. I inspected the result and was not happy so I stopped the job and said I wanted the tiles removed and the eaves guard fitted that had been described to me. Soon afterwards the operations supervisor came out as the fitters have no authority to make decisions.

I agreed with the supervisor that they could fit an eaves guard that would be inserted just a couple inches under the roof felt and this didn't require any tiles to be removed. However, since this was a substantial saving in work for the fitters compared to what I was expecting I expected a similar reduction in price. I estimated the saving to be at least 3 weeks work for two fitters, plus materials and other costs for Everest so probably in excess of £4000, so I proposed a discount of £2000 if they didn't want to do the job described by the salesmen.
The supervisor told me in an email to pay the invoice minus £2000 when the work was completed, which is what I did.

Subsequently Everest management have decided that they will only allow £500 discount and have now employed a law firm to send me a letter about possible legal action at county court if I don't pay the full £2000.

Since the salesmen (2) told me I would get the eaves guard shown in the brochure and the surveyor listed this eaves guard in his survey report is it reasonable for me to expect the £2000 discount that I discussed with the operations supervisor?

The windows were fitted as expected so I paid that part of the work in full. It was a separate invoice.
Now Everest are saying that as I haven't paid my second invoice for the roofline they will not issue me any guarantees or a Fensa certificate for the windows.

If Everest do take me to court am I likely to win? Can I also demand compensation for a new tyre as I had a puncture from nails that they dropped on my driveway and I had to buy a new tyre for my car.