Faulty HP laptop Advice on Best Option

Jordibird

Oct 14, 2013
Hi,

On 20/1/2012 I bought a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop from M&S via their online website, it was delivered to my local store for collection. From the very first time I used the laptop it had a very noisy fan, but I thought that was just the make itself. The last three months the laptop has been very hot indeed and started shutting down after warning notices and I took all the advice re checking vents lowering CPU etc but to no avail and on 14th Sept a final notice was fan failure unable to use laptop etc.

I contacted M&S who advised me to take the laptop to the local store so that they could investigate as it is still under their 2 year guarantee. The local store would not take it and informed me I needed a RDA number and to phone the Technology section. I duly phoned the section who took all the details and said their repair service would phone. An hour later they did however they are a 3rd party repair shop based in London. The chap offered a courier to collect it and then said it would be better to post it and he would send me the labels, he said it would be better if I paid extra to send it by recorded delivery as well. 3 weeks later a card from the post office informed me a letter needed paying for, it was the SAE from the repair shop with no postage paid. At the same time M&S phoned to ask why we had not sent the laptop for repair and promised to sort it out. This lead to another call from the repair shop and again I am still waiting!!

I have researched this laptop and there are thousands of reported faults the same as mine. Taking into account what has happened so far what options do I have? I am reluctant to send the laptop to this firm as I am convinced they are reputable or reliable, can I refuse? Also if M&S insist can I get them to sort this out and to do all the running around and to supply a courtesy replacement while mine is repaired? It is over 4 weeks and I work from home some days as well as doing an online uni course. Is there any other recourse you could advise??

Thank you so much any advice will be much appreciated.