Faulty HTC One M8 handsets - what to do next???!

Ox_Bex

May 13, 2014
Hi,
I'm getting really fed up so hoping one of you lovely people can help me out! On March 25th I ordered online from Phones 4 U the new HTC One M8 as it was released. I have it on Vodafone contract. It arrived on March 26th and was fab until March 29th when it randomly stopped, displayed a black screen and was totally unresponsive. It stayed that way, getting hotter and hotter until the battery drained.

I called Phones 4 U, spoke to their Tech Team and they agreed to send a bag out for me to post it back to them. Once they had received it, they would then send me a replacement. Annoying, but a fair offer. The bag arrived on the 1st April but without a postal label so I had no idea where to send it back to or any pre-paid postage. Spoke to their Customer Service on 2nd April and they agreed to refund me the cost of postage so the phone was posted back to them on 3rd April.

Second handset was dispatched and received by me on 5th April which was pretty quick and I was impressed. Sadly a few days later, it started to randomly restart and would shut itself off 6-10 times a day, sometimes switching back on instantly and other times taking up to half an hour to restart.

Called Phones 4 U again, "We'll send a bag, send it back, we'll check it and send you a replacement." At this point I thought, I'll ask HTC themselves if there's anything I can do. Followed their advice of deleting all apps, using in safe mode and still restarting. Back to Phones 4 U where I spoke to their Tech Team who agreed I had already done more than they would have suggested so told me to take the handset into my local store the next time it crashed, supply the store with the reference number and they would swap it for me there and then. That was the Easter weekend so I waited until 15th April before going in to the Oxford store.

They were very helpful, called Tech Team and verified the code for a replacement, got a handset out and it was sat right in front of me, ready for me to take away when it all went wrong! The IMEI number on my phone had been duplicated and was registered to a phone sitting in Halfords in Telford. After some suspicious looks and questioning as to how I possessed a phone with an IMEI somewhere else, it was established that I couldn't proceed with a replacement there as their computer systems would not accept my returned handset. Another phone call to Customer Services, another rebate on my monthly bill and home to wait for another bag to be sent out.

Apparently they then ran out of bags! I finally received one and sent the handset back again on 29th April. On 1st May I received an email confirming my order. 2nd May I used online chat to chase them up and was told the handset hadn't been received in their warehouse. I phoned them later that day and was told it had been received but due to the IMEI number being duplicated it was stuck in a loop of not being verified which meant the replacement could not be sent out. The
phone assistant promised to check on it on the following day and call me with an update. No phone call! At that point, I'd had the phone working and physically with me for 9 out of 38 days...

Out of the blue I then received an email stating that my phone was out for delivery on 7th May. I charged it when I got home that evening, logged into Gmail, didn't restore any of my apps so just ran it on factory settings. There was a software update so I installed that, hoping that would fix the issues. Woke up next morning, switched it on and ten minutes later it crashed.

Back to Phones 4 U, did a factory reset and told them I would give it a few days use to see if anything improved. A few more crashes but nowhere near as many as previously encountered.

Then on 10th May, I made a phone call that I couldn't hang up from. Every time I pressed End Call it would go to the home screen but with the call still in progress. A few minutes later, it crashed which at least helped to end the call!

11th May, I needed to call a colleague due to a possible break in at work. Every time I pressed call, it would call, then the screen would go black before attempting to call again automatically. It did that 14 times in less than a minute and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

12th May, called Phones 4 U who agreed that I could have a different handset on the same tariff, £42 pcm. They then proceeded to offer me six options, all of which have been available for around a year and are available on considerably lower tariffs. Phones such as the HTC One Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Experia SP. I asked if I could exchange for the Samsung S5 which is comparable to the M8 in terms of screen size, processor, camera etc and was told I'd have to pay £120 despite it being free to new customers! Or the Experia Z2 which should be £89 but they would knock it down to £49.

At this point, I asked for some time to think about it. I have three options, kept the M8 and hope the next Android update fixes the issues. Change to an older phone and continue to pay considerably more for the next two years, or pay more for an equivalent handset.

Unless of course, you have a better idea..... Given that I'm well outside of my seven days change of mind date, can I ask for more under the SOGA? Or is there some other way I should be approaching this? I did email them last night asking for a better option given all the problems I've had but haven't yet had a response.

Sammy80

Mar 26, 2014
Have you tried ringing HTC directly? I would demand a phone of equal value not an old model and not pay if not I would cancel your contract with them.

NicolaD

Jul 6, 2014
I have had trouble with HTC One M8 which I purchased on 29th April, within a month I noticed the screen kept moving from one app to another and freezing and vibrating and it took about 15 minutes to settle before I could use it, this started happening about two weeks after purchase so I took it back to the shop to ask what is happening, they said the screen could be sensitive and I might ne hitting the recent apps button at the bottom causing it to open up previous apps and recommended I clear them. So I did that and went on my merry way, but of course a couple of weeks later the phone started playing up again, this time the whole evening I couldn't use it, it was flashing between apps, alarm clock, opening internet tabs by itself, I couldn't even switch it off so it eventually just ran out of battery.

I took it back to the shop next day and they said I couldn't have an exchange as it was it of the 30 days and now it was the manufacturers responsibility as it under warranty.

I argued this and said they sold me a faulty phone in the first place but didn't get anywhere and had to send my new phone to repair by HTC.

Now I have got it back but it is still not working properly. This time before I go back I want to know exactly what my rights are as I have taken out a two year contract and not happy that I have already had to send it away for repair and it is still not working as it should.

Why should I have to continue to keep sending a phone away for repair that leaves me with no communication as it is the only phone I have, and all the while paying £41 a month contract.

I am so annoyed

Sorry if this should be a new thread - I am new here and just saw another HTC complaint and thought id post a reply

nimrod666

Jul 13, 2014
Having the same sort of problem with an HTC One X on Virgin Mobile, a breif summary:

Be aware the Virginmobile warranty will not always replace phones like for like and will if it suits only offer lower spec replacement.

I had cause to return a phone for a warranty repair, unfortunately the fault could not be rectified and a replacement refurbished phone was sent to me. I have no complaints with this procedure. On receipt of the phone it was charged fully however after that it would not switch back on, after a lengthy phone call with 'Customer Service' and the Technical team they finally accepted that the replacement phone was faulty and that I would have to repeat the repair process again even though they were at fault therefore being almost another two weeks without a phone. I did enquire as to whether as they had agreed and apologised for the fact that the phone was obviously not tested correctly before despatch if another replacement could be sent out straight away to minimise time without a phone, this request was refused.

I have now been informed that all HTC phones have been returned and will no longer be available. The choices I have been given are to wait an undetermined time for fresh HTC stock (but keep paying the bill) or accept an inferior replacement which has a lower specification.

For information the phone was a HTC One X, brief spec as follows:

720p HD display
IPS LCD 2 technology
Tegra 3 quad core 1.5GHz processor
4.7-inch screen
Beats Audio

The three phones they have offered as a replacement come nowhere near, make yor own mind up....

Full thread on VM forum available on request

Last edited: