Faulty Samsung TV 8 months out of warranty

Dch79

Jul 18, 2012
This is my first post and hoping for a little bit of advice or guidance if possible.
Basically I purchased a Samsung 3D TV 20 months ago from Amazon for approx £1227! In the last few days it has developed a horizontal black line across the screen as well as switching itself on and off intermittently.
I contacted both Amazon and Samsung and was given the following responses. Samsung - I need to get an approved repair centre to pick the TV up at a cost of £175 to look at the tv to assess the fault. From there they will then advise me of a cost that they will charge to repair the fault. No offer of compensation or any assistance towards the repair costs. Basically it's out of warranty with no extended warranty purchased so no come back.
Amazon - item is out of warranty and that they are sorry we now have a Tv that's faulty but it's out of warranty and I should contact the manufacturer. After ringing them a number of times and trying to claim under the sale of goods act they have since come back to me to offer a £180 refund.
I'm looking for a bit of assistance as to how I deal with this. If I accept the money does this mean I am accepting the fault or is them taking some form of responsibility and could I get more out of them if I was persistent.
I could use the £180 to get the tv to the repair centre but that's not to say that the repair bill could stretch to hundreds!
Any advice, recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
The TV may be out of 'warranty' but a warranty is just a 'we won't argue during the period' agreement that the Amazon/Samsung voluntarily signed up to.

This does not mean they can just discard your complaint now. At the end of the day anything you buy has to be fit for purpose, satisfactory quality etc. How this is determined depends on the product, purchase price etc. i would suggest that a £1200 TV should last a lot longer than 20 months. I think most people would agree including a court.

Because it is over 6 months old the burden of proving it was faulty when it was purchased is down to you. You could obtain a report yourself and then present that to Amazon. They would then have to repair or replace it. You could also take them to small claims court. The court might accept you statement that is faulty as proof but I personally would get a report done if you go down that route.