faulty second hand car advice required

jonf

Feb 11, 2010
Hi

I purchased a 2003 Rover for £2000 in Sept '09 from a dealer. The dealer said it had a problem with the water pump and it would need changing which they did Ok as far as I know. Then in December it developed a fault and the dealer replaced the water pump again which he said had developed a fault. Its now February and I have the same fault again and they are saying its the Head Gasket which will cost me £400-500 to fix and that they are willing to share some of the cost as it is now outside of their 3 month warranty (it would cost me £175.00) I pointed out to them that my statutory rights under the sales and supply of goods to consumers regulations 2002 state that if a fault develops within 6 months they have to repair free of charge. At this point this withdrew their offer and told me to come and pick my car up.

Can anyone verify if I have an argument under the sales of goods act?

Many Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You do. However, you are better off negotiating something otherwise you would have to take them to court to sue them for this amount. This would take time and effort and if the judge feels they have made a reasonable offer that you have rejected then they would not rule in your favour. The judge will take into account mileage and usage of the car etc.