Faulty Tyres

stegaj

Oct 6, 2009
In July I bought 4 x Kumho tyres from a mobile tyre fitter that was recommended to me. The tyres have a wobble at 45mph and this was reported to the tyre fitter a couple of weeks after they were fit as we were away on holiday.

The fitter has been great and has been back this week and put two old Michelin tyres on the back which has cured the wobble from the rear.

He has said he needs to send the tyres back to the manufactuer through his supplier and it could take 6 weeks. As we plan to send all four back this could take 3 months to resolve. In the meantime I am runnig round on almost illegal tyres and considerably out of pocket.

I have suggested that the fitters supplier should exchange all four immediately and supply me with new tyres, it is his respnsibility to send the tyres back and I should not be exptected to wait 6 weeks for a decision as to what is going to happen.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on how I might resolve this issue as I am also planning to sell the vehicle in the next few weeks.

many Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi there,

Your contract is with the fitter not the manufacturer or the fitter's supplier. The fitter should replace the tyres or give you a refund.

Tony

stegaj

Oct 6, 2009
Thank you for your reply.

The fitter wants to put old tyres back on the casr while the faulty tyres are sent back to the manufacturer. My concern with this is that I am completely n the hands of the manufacturer now, I have no idea what tests they will undergo and if they come back and say the tyres are not faulty then I am £520 out of pocket and no tyres to show for it.

Is the fitter obliged to replace my tyres with another set of new tyres or is he within his rights to fit part worns till he gets a report fromthe manufacturer?

Thanks again

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I suppose as long as the tyres are legal he can fit part worn tyres. This will not cause significant inconvenience and means you will not need to replace your tyres as soon. Seems reasonable to me - you are actually benefiting from this.

Tony