Financial Rip Offs

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
OK OK, I concede, mobile phone insurance is a rip off.

My phone was replaced in June, all was well until half an hour ago an email lands in my inbox reminding me that I have reinsure my new phone by paying an additional premium.

Not knowing what the hell they were talking about I phoned them to be told that as I've made a claim the original insurance has now ended.

So despite paying £30 for the year, plus a £40 excess they now want me to pay £52 to insure the new phone up to May.

Not a chance.

Absolute con.

They attached some customer satisfaction questions to the email. They probably won't take any notice of what I write, but I feel better for venting my frustrations in them.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I should have probably mulled on this one for half an hour and had a cup of tea before sending it, but hey ho...

Were you informed at the outset as to the process and timescales involved in dealing with your claim?

Yes, although I didn't realise that I would have to chase unanswered emails after I was quoted a different excess by email as I was over the phone. Making a customer phone because of an unanswered email is not good service.

I also didn't realise that after you tried calling me on a number that wasn't operational (see below) I would have to call you back on an 0870 number and discuss at length my claim.

I also find it confusing that in this day and age you can't make a claim at the weekend.

Finally, from the time I took out my insurance to the time that I had to make a claim, NO-ONE told me that I would have to reinsure my phone. This email is the first I have known about it.

Were you kept regularly updated on the progress of your claim?

If you count trying to phone me on the mobile phone that was subject to an accidental damage claim and leaving a voicemail, possibly. It isn't rocket science to realise that if a customer is putting in a claim for a faulty mobile phone and you need to call them... DON'T call them on their mobile phone number.

Did we deliver what we promised?

If you count not being entirely truthful with how your mobile phone cover works, sure. Maybe you should explicitly tell people that they need to reinsure their phone if they have to make a claim?

Are you happy with the way your claim was settled?

No, I think this survey is giving you a taste of that.

Did you feel we treated you fairly?

No. After paying £30-£40 to insure the phone and £40 excess I have now been told I have to pay a further £52 to insure my new phone up until May.

This is my first claim as an Endsleigh customer since I took out my contents policy as a student in 2002. In seven years I have made one claim. How many people fall into that category? And now presumably because I've dropped one mobile phone in a cup of tea in seven years I'll be judged as "high risk" and my contents premium will go up... especially if the increase in premium displayed above is anything to go by. £52 for the remaining ten months when the original insurance was barely half that?