Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what would you advise?

• Is my son doomed for life?

• Total voters

dykuk1

Sep 3, 2013
I have been trying to help my son ,he is 19 and feeling very stupid!!, he fell for a scam online after my father died and he lives with his mum,and she phoned me in a panic, it was a money mule apparently,being offered to do work from home,the scammers transferred money £1500 into his lloyds account and his mum phoned me and I said - get on to the police,do not touch that money! get a crime reference number and report it to fraud line at lloyds. Police came ...gave a number but did bugger all else, no name of the officer. He phoned lloyds and they bounced him around departments but eventually crime reference number got taken, and said go in with your mum or nan (nan-mother in law works for RBS) and to the branch in town on Monday. They were rude to them and called him a criminal and said okay we will sort it out - next thing we heard, a letter to close all his accounts, the refunded his own money- we dont know what happened to the scammers money. I wrote in and its been back and fourth since for nearly a year now,and he hasnt been able to get a bank account since or any credit, his credit records are high,all 3 of them,no negatives and cant see anything as to why he cant get even a step or a basic account or savers account.
Although I gave him a telling off...he was just trying to help his mother ( we are divorced but speak and okay friends now) as our father died and our son I guess thought the money would help his mum, thank god he didnt spend it,but he did move it to savings so a direct debit would not go out of it and make it look like he spent it.
I have been through the ombudsman and a huge row today with them,they wont support our side nor tell us why he cannot get a bank account. He works hard our son, at the time of our fathers death he couldnt get a job hence he fell for this scam, and now he is in work he nowhere to pay salary too, anyone able to help here??
I am at the end of what to do to sort this out,lloyds just sent a we dont want to have anything to do with you sort of letter and no way will they ever let him open an account. anyone able to help??

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Bit of a tough one because they are very strict on money laundering in banking these days and given all the excuses in the world, sadly, this is still what he did.

Has he applied for his credit report? not online but a paper copy, if he has and it showed nothing up, he needs to send a Subject Access Request to all 3 credit agencies and to the bank, it will cost £10 a time but may be worth the investment. Credit Agencies aren't supposed to 'hide' information (i.e. make it available to potential creditors but not to you)

One way round it is to open an account in your name then add him on as a joint account holder, the problem may be overcome in this way, can't think of anything else...sorry but I hope he appreciates you and his mum! :D

dykuk1

Sep 3, 2013
yeah we got the paper credit files,nothing shows up on it,will try all those other things you said,thanks.