Help with roof re-felting gone bad please

ScroogeandMarley20

Oct 19, 2020
Hi all,

in February 2020 we had our roof re-felted and soffits replaced. The following problems became apparent on these dates:

March 2020: high winds blew the soffits from the front of the house onto the street, showing us the soffits had never actually been cemented in place.

Covid hit so the roofers said they couldn’t come round to fix it.

July 2020: the roofers said they’d started work again & promised to re-place the soffits “within a week”.

The roofers never showed up & we called & texted them weekly, each time they said “next week”.

1st October 2020: we sent them a text & WhatsApp saying we would be employing a new roofer to re-place the soffits & would send them the bill, unless they did the job within 7 days.

5th October 2020: That brought the roofers round. They replaced the soffits & cemented them in place, but one soffit was missing & they didn’t have a spare one. I also showed them a tear in the roof lining inside the loft & they promised to repair that as well as the missing soffit “within a week”

18th October: I checked the loft to take a photo of the small lining tear and found something VERY BAD!!

The roofers have crammed the cold water and header water tank over flow pipes inside the loft!!

Rather than cut the one inch hole in roof’s edge so the overflow pipes go outside for safe drainage, the end of the pipes are inside the loft.

It also looks like the overflow pipes were cut shorter so they fit inside the loft, just by the physical fit of the overflow pipes against the interior of the roof.

I’m really really disappointed by months of being let down ending in discovering these overflow pipes.

What I’d like is to get a new roofer to come fix everything & also check the re-felting as I obviously have zero faith in the existing roofer. I’d then like to send the existing roofer the bill for the work, in a way that can be enforced.

Is that a good course of action?

What course of action would you guys recommend so the law is on our side & so important work (the overflow pipe) gets fixed quickly?

By the way we found the roofer on Checkatrade with a 9.7 rating from 25 reviews

Thanks for your help