i have been the victim of fraud

carsboys97

Nov 12, 2013
What do you all make of this, in September 2011 I purchased a car off ebay. The seller delivered it to me at extra cost and I paid cash on delivery, over £5000. He provided me with id, log book, service details, and what I considered to be a hpi check, though I now know it was a used car check didn't mention finance at all. I am an intelligent lady and have bought and sold many cars in my time, I thought I had taken all steps to check this car was what he said it was.

In june this year I sold the car to my son and he subsequently a month later wrote the car off, this triggered a visit to my door from a debt collection agency, they advised that the car I had purchased had outstanding finance on it and that the claim most likely was the reason they had caught up with me... I took all steps to prove how I bought the car, who from etc and provided bank statements I honestly thought that would be the end of the matter. My son was offered a settlement by a well know 'red phone' company and although we were so sad to lose his car we knew he would be able to buy something similar. In the meantime I was deemed a non innocent purchaser as I didn't have a hpi check with my name on it, im argueing this case now, but in the meantime without any correspondence to my son the said insurance company have paid off the finance company, they never even told him just went ahead and wrote to him after the event. Its my understanding that he needs to be deemed a non innocent purchaser in order for this to happen? im currently complaining to all parties, why are they not chasing the person who took out the finance and why has it taken two plus years to come to my door? no car and no money now and we are totally innocent. why doesn't the law protect the buyer???