Ipod Repair Issue

Sport Billy

Mar 11, 2013
Hi
I'm hoping this is the correct place to put this and any advice on the situation will be more than appreciated.

Over the Christmas break my son damaged the charging/docking port on his ipod, typically 20 days past its 12 month warranty.

Having heard that getting Apple to repair it would be quite expensive I found a Company that quoted me £47.50 (verbal quote, no written proof) to do the repair (£17.50 of which I paid up front by debit card).

They duly collected the ipod via UPS and 4 or 5 days later I received a call on my mobile to say the ipod had been repaired but at an increase cost to the one quoted. I had know argument with this as the quote was based on having not seen the ipod.

Unfortunately the line was bad and I thought they told be the cost had increased to £50 (That is I had to pay a balance of £50 rather than £30) but on checking my bank statement the extra I paid was £80 ie the extra £50 was on top of the £30 left to pay......a total of £97.50

I paid by debit card and the follow day we received delivery of it. I told my son to check the connector was working ie the ipod was charging and he said it was, but there was no sound coming from the ipod's internal loudspeaker. Thinking he may have it on mute, or something stupid like that, I had a look and indeed the sound wasn't working. I then tried it with headphones plugged in and sound could be heard through 1 earpiece only.

I emailed the company immediately and they confessed they'd only done a test on the new connector before returning it.

They once again collected the ipod by ups.

A few days later I received an email to say they'd fixed the headphone problem in that there was now sound coming from both ear pieces when headphones are used but they couldn't fix the loudspeaker problem and could I call them.

I rang them and they said they would like to arrange return of the ipod to me I said no and that I wanted one of two things to happen. Either they arrange someone to repair the problem and cover the cost or issue me a full refund.

I was put on hold and the next thing I know I'm speaking to a manager who claimed the sound fault was nothing to do with them and that I had no proof the sound was working when I initially sent it in and so they would neither get the ipod repaired or refund my money and all I had to do was pay a further £12 to get the ipod sent back.

I repeated my request of repair or refund and that there was no way I was paying £12 to have it returned to me at which point I was told the ipod would remain in their possession until £12 was paid at which point I ended the call.

I contacted citizens advice and they gave me a template of a letter to write quoting the Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 (As amended) and requesting a repair or a refund. I gave them 14 days to reply which passed at the end of February. I sent this by recorded delivery but had no reply.

So my questions are:

Do I have a case or are the Company within their rights to do what they have done and should I just pay the £12?

If I have a case what should be my next step:
Charge back
Small Claims Court

I have no proof the sound was working on the ipod..I know it was but can't prove it, but on the other hand in re-collecting the ipod are they not admitting responsibility.

KimE

Nov 4, 2014
Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim