Knowhow incompetent repair

hongtinlau

Nov 2, 2014
Hi all,

I want to share my experience with Knowhow laptop repairs service.

I took my HP laptop in for repair at a branch of PC World for a power fault. PC booted but wasn’t taking in mains power when it was turned on. I asked to be informed of what would be done and for the technician to document any drivers which were updated which I thought was a fair request.
After a week I received a call from their technician claiming the fault laid with the motherboard. I have some experience with computers so I was a bit dubious of this diagnosis but trusted the diagnosis and paid for a new motherboard at the cost of £329. When the laptop came back to me, no notes or information on exactly what was wrong were provided. Within a day the fault returned and then failed to boot at all. So I returned the to the store and rebooked the repair. I asked them to call me before the laptop was returned so I could discuss with the technician. I week later I call customer services for an update only to be told that it was already being returned the store with a “free” power adaptor and keyboard part. I asked them what the fault was and they conveniently said it was a combined motherboard, keyboard and power adaptor.
Again I asked for the technicians notes but again they were not provided. When I received the laptop back the power fault seem to be resolved but within 3 days the computer started freezing after about an hour of use.
I’ve since had the laptop looked at by another technician who has confirmed that the motherboard replace is faulty. So now i’m left with an expensive paper weight as it is useless.
They’ve offered to repair again but quite frankly I don’t trust them. They’ve either not fixed what I’ve paid for or returned it with a new problem so I’ve asked for my money back which they have refused. They’re due to get back to me as I’ve escalated but not holding out much hope so I’m going to take it up with resolution services and then court if necessary.

I’ll never use them again, as at every stage I’ve asked for detailed diagnosis they’ve been evasive. I asked for my parts which they replaced and they’ve conveniently said they had already been destroyed.
Whenever I call them they pass me from person to person, no one knows what to do. I even had one of their customer representatives tell me that this is common behaviour.

Knowhow? Yeah right….

I would be grateful for any advice on how to resolve this as i'm finding hard not to get angry at the situation.