Laptop Refund problem

ArnieNIA

Sep 17, 2013
Hi all, I hope you could offer some guidance for a problem I've run into.

I bought a medion laptop at the end of jan this year, as one of the more expensive models I expected to have no problems with it, but around a month ago I plugged it in for a charge and come back 2 minute later to find the laptop smoking up badly from the inside.

So I called medion and told them what happened and started the RMA process. I'd said right from the get go that if possible I would like to get a refund of the item because I now think the item is dangerous (i hate to think what could of happened if left the laptop charging) so the days flew by and I heard nothing from them until around a week ago I get an email saying the laptop had been repaired and sent for dispatch back to me.

I called them up and asked why they went ahead without asking what I would like and they don't care. I asked for a refund but they said no, I even asked for a partial refund and they said no. So as of now I'm trying to figure out how to get my money back, as I still do think there is something defective in the laptop.

I know about the sales of goods act but how do I prove the item was defective when I bought it now its been repaired?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Within6 months of purchase it is assumed that the fault existed from new and if they think they can prove otherwise it is up to them to do so, after this time the fault may have developed over time unless you can prove otherwise.

I agree with you that this laptop doesn't sound safe and you wouldn't want to leave it charging while you weren't present which means it is no longer fit for purpose regardless of whether they think they've fixed it, after all I assume they thought it wasn't going to smoke when they manufactured it, but it did!

Unfortunately, if they won't accept your rejection your only recourse is the Small Claims Court which is a fairly cheap and simple process but you must consider that a judge may think they have met their obligation in law and that you may have been unreasonable in trying the repaired laptop.

Personally though, I'm with you on this one, I wouldn't take it back either.