Let Dominic Littlewood fight your battles.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
DON’T GET DONE – GET DOM!

Dom’s back! With a new series of his hugely popular
BBC1 consumer affairs programme.

Let Dominic Littlewood fight your battles.

ARE YOU...
• Being treated unfairly by a company, retailer or local authority?
• Stuck on the complaints treadmill with no resolution in sight?
• Needing help to cut through the red tape?

OR are you willing to be an industry insider,
and help us lift the lid on big business anti-consumer tactics?

Please contact us ASAP for further information
OR an application form:

Series Hotline: 020 75987210
Series Email: dom@flametv.co.uk

huanic

Aug 3, 2009
OR are you willing to be an industry insider,
and help us lift the lid on big business anti-consumer tactics?

Please contact us ASAP for further information
OR an application form:

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
This is a great show for one reason, Dominic.

His everyman approach and demeanour lift it above the usual consumer stuff that is around.

He is also very good at instilling confidence in anyone who watches.

Definitely worth a look.

budgie

Nov 4, 2010
hi my name is westley and i could do with some help i am haveing internet issus wich i just cant get sortted out xcus my spelling i am disabled with cp. i use to be on bt i was on there sevices on and off for about 3 years during that time i was getting probs with my speed was for ever ringing them up i even had a man come to my house to check things was right at my home when he came to my home he found a folt it was connectivity he rang from my home to bt and told them what the problem was and bt asured me they would sort it out well about 6 mounths ago a leaf let came thuw my door it was virgin saying we can say good by to bt for you so i rang them they told me they could provided me better internet for less money but at that time they could not sort it out as i was in a middile of a 2 year contracted with bt so i phone up bt canceled my bt with them had a cancel chage of about £400 did all that and moved over to virgin i was happy with my virgin for about 2 months it was great but then i started getting probs on virgin becouse i not in a cable airer i get my virgin thuw a adsl line now i am trying to get them to soert out my folt but finding it verry hard as they ae useing a bt tester and you can only use this onces every hour virgin costermer suport have told me theres a folt and theres nothing they can do about it so with them saying this i thought i had rights to cancel my internet with them but they seid no so i am haveing to pay for something now i am not getting right iv tryed to speak with them and they get verry funny with me on the phone to the point i am in tears they wont sort out my problem for me and i was wondering if there anything you can do to help me.
i look forward to hearing from you thanks and bless
p.s i have sent dom littlewood a email too with my name and number if you cant understand my spelling

fighter

Mar 6, 2011
My understanding of this, if you don't have direct fibre optic cable feeds in your road, then Virgin use BT overhead lines.
The problem with overhead BT lines is the connection/speed becomes weaker the further your away from a BT exchanges.

Ron

alicewalker

Jul 12, 2011
Hi,
I bought a Dell Laptop from Best Buys at Aintree on 03.10.10. in the last 3 months I have been experiencing difficulties with it, the noise has satrted to distort and the laptop switches itself off by itslelf. But the other day I had the laptop on my knee I took it off and set it on the sofa beside me and the screen cracked. I am careful with my laptop, I have never dropped it, never shut the lid with anyhting isdie it or never lent anything heavy on the lid. Its my first laptop. Best buys said that they would not fix it or send it to Dell as it was accidental damage and that I dropped it. Even though I have never dropped my laptop. I was told I have to pay for the repair which will cost around £100 to repair, but my laptop still is under warranty. And I have been told that it is a common fault in Dells for the screen to crack without dropping them. Where do I stand with this problem?

fighter

Mar 6, 2011
Hi,
I bought a Dell Laptop from Best Buys at Aintree on 03.10.10. in the last 3 months I have been experiencing difficulties with it, the noise has satrted to distort and the laptop switches itself off by itslelf. But the other day I had the laptop on my knee I took it off and set it on the sofa beside me and the screen cracked. I am careful with my laptop, I have never dropped it, never shut the lid with anyhting isdie it or never lent anything heavy on the lid. Its my first laptop. Best buys said that they would not fix it or send it to Dell as it was accidental damage and that I dropped it. Even though I have never dropped my laptop. I was told I have to pay for the repair which will cost around £100 to repair, but my laptop still is under warranty. And I have been told that it is a common fault in Dells for the screen to crack without dropping them. Where do I stand with this problem?
Gather evidence for forums or wherever as to it being a common fault with this model, better still if you can get a independent report that these models are prone to this.
Where its reasonable for goods to last up to six years you should be able to get a repair or a replacement, if a repair or replacement is not a option, then you may be able to get some of the purchase price you paid back, or be able to rescind the contract and get a refund.
Or you may be able to claim compensation from Bestbuy for the cost of a repair or replacement.
Also check your house insurance for legal cover and hopefully a solicitor will take on your case, by sending Bestbuy a “letter before action” that may resolve the issue before it ending up in the small claims court.

If a credit agreement is involved, the credit provider may be liable as well as the trader if there is a breach of contract, for example, if goods are unsatisfactory or another term of the contract has been broken, or if there has been misrepresentation. This is known as equal liability and arises under s75 Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Fighter

fighter

Mar 6, 2011
The first part of my last post should have read.............Gather evidence from forums or wherever.
Fighter

milbro007

Jun 20, 2011
Cornwall
Hi Tony
I wonder if you can give me some advice please?
I bought a VW Transporter T5 last july from Swansea Van Centre and within a few months we had big problems with it.
Eventually just a few days before Xmas my partner was driving it and it broke down after a load of smoke and loss of power just before a roundabout.
Swansea Van Centre wanted me to drive it hundreds of miles to their place at my expense and offered to pay a few quid towards the repair but obviously they didn't really want to know as they had my £8000 from me and that was it.
They promised to sort me out with an extended warranty to cover the massive garage bill etc but that never happened and in the end the bloke just stopped returning my calls.
I ended up taking it to a local garage in Camborne callled Treverbyn Motors to let them try and fix it and they had it for nearly 2 months and basically replaced the turbo and charged me £1060 for my troubles.
The chap there said that he thought my engine could go at anytime so i would probably need a new one.
Within 200 miles of driving it the turbo went again and when i asked him to look at it he said he would but he wanted to charge me to take a look at it to which i was very surprised and quite annoyed.
He then tried saying that he told me NOT to drive the van which was totally untrue and told me to ring Midland Turbo's direct and deal with them as i was rude to his receptionist but to be honest that's another story again.
Then he said that if Midland turbos rang him he would tell them that he told me not to drive the van hence invalidating my 12 month warranty i got with the turbo.
Suprisingly enough Midland Turbo's collected the turbo and when i rang them to enquire about the repair they said they wanted £240 from me as the repair wasn't covered by the warranty.
What a surprise!!!
I had no choice so i paid the money.
Then i registered with find-a-part Used Car Parts | Find a Part[/url] to find a replacement engine for my van.
I was contacted by a company called Green Engines in Birmingham and they said they had the perfect engine for me from a damaged 2007 T5 with only 47k on the clock.
I thought this was the answer to my problems so i paid the £915 directly into their account and after nearly two months of chasing them my engine arrived upside down at my designated garage.
After further inspection my mechanic discovered many more problems like the turbo was no good and there were bolts missing from the sump and the main crankshaft was very loose.
I tried ringing Green Engines and kept getting their answerphone so i left around 20 messages and now when i ring them all their phone does is carry on ringing.
I am REALLY worried i may have lost my money and my work van and soon my livelihood as i am a plumber and need my van for my work.
Could you please advise me on what i can do to find these robbers who have taken money i didn't really have?
Ive reported all this to trading Standards but im not sure what they can do if they cant find these people.
Please help me if you can??????

thanks

Simon.

fighter

Mar 6, 2011
It’s all about Caveat Emptor, which if you don’t know is Latin phrase for "let the buyer beware." The term is primarily used in real property transactions.
Essentially it proclaims that the buyer must perform their due diligence when purchasing an item or service, more so when it come to buying secondhand vehicles.

As to the repair by your local garage on the turbo, and they said’ don’t drive it, appears to beg the question why before they repaired the turbo did they not advise don’t drive it, even still how did they expect you to take it out of there garage after repair push it home.

They are now claiming we told you not to drive it after paying £1060 for a repair or if he did say’ don’t drive it, they where referring to the engine about to go at anytime?

We have the The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) which lays down that work should be carried out with reasonable care and skill, at a reasonable price and within a reasonable time, The Act states that a supplier must carry out services with 'reasonable care and skill'. Surely,you as plumber must have come across this act in the course of you work.

If you consider the repair to be of poor quality, or the turbo supplied faulty, you should have written to the repairer explaining this and asking for the repair to be done again free of charge.

The act continues to point out if this is not successful, you should inform the repairer that you will have the work done elsewhere, and sue for the cost of the repairs, in which case it will be necessary to have evidence that the repair needed to be done again. The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) requires that any new parts supplied must be of satisfactory quality. For example, if in the course of a repair to fit a new turbo, the work was done satisfactorily but the new turbo,proved faulty, you could seek redress under the above Act with the repairer.

It may possible for you to pursued them, in a small claims court, if it did go to court a judge would or should be asking the same questions, “why did they not warn the client as he started the van”, when taking it out of your garage?
And hopefully the judge believes also,they where twisting that reference too, don't drive it.

This issue in my opinion would be down to witnesses or any paper/verbal recommendations, if none, then it’s down to your word vs theirs.

It would appear that either the work or the replacement turbo to be at fault.

Check you house insurance to see if you have legal cover, if you do have cover, then a solicitor may be willing take your case on, and they may send out “letter before action” letters.

If a credit agreement is involved, the credit provider may be liable as well as the trader if there is a breach of contract, for example, if goods are unsatisfactory or another term of the contract has been broken, or if there has been misrepresentation. This is known as equal liability and arises under s75 Consumer Credit Act 1974.
Fighter

Tyniehearts

Sep 22, 2011
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me, I am trying to claim for a flight that I have booked for New Zealand it got booked in February this year with Emirates £1.400, to see my brother for Christmas, On 24th April I booked travel insurance online with virgin travel insurance wanted it to start from 10th September to 9th September, I was going to Benidorm in September and New Zealand Christmas, On the 12th May this year I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, which means now I am not allowed to fly, I have had 2 operations, going through Chemeotherapy now and to get radiotherapy, my doctors letter stated I couldn't fly in June, and now virgin travel insurance is saying Im not covered and are not going to help, but today got a letter after threatening with newspapers, but really don't think they are going to help because have said now it will take 8 weeks, anyway, Emirates would not allow for to transfer my brother into coming over to Scotland, so now my father has paid Emirates another £6,100 to bring my brother and his family over, also my mother and father are waiting on there's. Emirates Email says it does not cover for medical conditions, which I think is absolutely awful, so now my father has paid over £10,000 to Emirates just for 2 adults and 2 small children. Please can you help me, because I can not take much more.

Yours sincerely Arlene Croall

Gather677

Dec 7, 2011
Hi

Any advice is welcomed..

I was involved in an accident in my car recently (T reg Ford Puma) which has been deemed wholly the fault of the other driver.

Working through the insurance company of the other party, the vehicle went off for inspection at a local garage (FYLDE MOTOR COMPANY, KIRKHAM) where they prepared the vehicle for inspection by agents of the insurance company.

As there were damage to the bumper and marks on the nearside headlight cluster, FYLDE MOTORS took these items off the vehicle so the assessors could look behind to see if there were any damage to the fabric to the vehicle.

The assessors looked at the car and due to the scratches to the moulded bumper and the marks on the headlight cluster, they have deemed the vehicle 'uneconomical to repair'.

I subsequently received an offer from the insurance company who valued the vehicle as worth 850 GBP. Their offer clearly stated that as their were scratches to the bumper and minor marks to the headlight cluster, the cost of a new bumper and headlight would be too much.

i was offered 750GBP and the vehicle back as i could IF I WISHED, scrap the car and get AT LEAST 100GBP for it.

I accepted the offer and asked for the vehicle back. I was told by the garage that the bumper and headlamp were still off the vehicle and I would have to pay for 2 hours labour to be able to get the car back in the same condition as the when I saw it drive away for inspection.

The solicitors acting for me (CAMPS) have told me that THIS ISN'T THE WAY THIS NORMALLY WORKS and that the garage, having done the preparation work on the vehicle for inspection wouldn't have been paid so they would need to recoup some costs somehow.

The solicitors have now told me that they cannot act on my behalf for me to get my car back in the same condition as it was taken from me.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed. All i want is the terms of the agreement to be met. I just want the car back in the same condition. Surely there must be a theft act offence as they have assumed the rights of the owner by refusing to let me have the car back in a state I can drive it away.

I must add that if they did put the car back together and I drove it away, I would not be driving an illegal vehicle. Scuffs and marks on a bumper do not make it illegal.

Any help would be appreciated.

regards
Steve

superspink

Jan 5, 2012
hi, my name is sharon and could do with some help about BT, i have a customer with them for a long time but just lately i have not been happy with their service's so i decided to give them one month's notice on the 8th/9th December 2011 cancelling so i could go to another provider for phone, broadband and tv package in which i have done. the one month's cancellation comes to an end on the 8th/9th of this month but what has come to light is that when i checked with the new provider on the request of keeping the original telephone number, it had not been requested yet so they put in the request on the 05/01/12 but i had to ring BT to let them know but hit problems with BT, the cancellation had not gone through and i had have to pay £30 plus days useage when i have not used their bt vision box and broadband since the 22nd December 2011.
I am sure they cannot do this when i already gave them 1 months notice which comes to an end on the 8th/9th of this month and the lack of commication amongst the BT staff

Louise2009

Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

Please, please please can you help. I don't know what more I can do!!

My cars engine has malfunctioned prematurely; this is the Service's Manager's description of the events at the dealership
It is a Ford Focus Diesel and only 61,000 miles, 2009 plate 3.5 years old. I have spoken to the dealership and also Ford Uk.
Ford are not prepared to take any action and refuse to provide me with a complaints procedure to follow. I have spoken to one of the Manager’s Manager whom refused this. She informed me that Ford do not have a formal complaints procedure??? They are also unwilling to investigate why my car has had these problems prematurely.
My cars engine had numerous problems 2 years ago that were repaired and under warranty. I was informed at the time that work had been undertaken on the engines injectors.

This was after lots of issues of my having to keep returning the vehicle after being told it was repaired. I was told at the time that it was known that there was an injector fault on this model.
This occurred within 9 months of purchasing the vehicle.

Two years later the engine is now a write off. Consequently there is now no value at all in my vehicle. Technically a vehicle that Santander own.

I have asked the dealership what the issue is and why has this engine failed at such an unreasonable time period. They agreed that it has died prematurely, and best help I can get is occasionally they do. But why???? That is not acceptable when I am paying in total £17,500 to purchase this car. I don't expect to pay that money for a car to have a lifetime of only 3.5 years.

The feedback that I receive from both the dealership and also the mechanics that have looked at it to date - 3 of which independently, but have previously worked for Ford is that the injectors have failed. This time when they failed it looks to have sent one of the cam rods flying out of the side of the engine, which in effect means that this cannot be repaired.

The whole engine needs to be replaced. A new engine for this model is £4,300. This is without labour or accessories.

If it is indeed the injectors these are a further £1,000 so the total to repair my vehicle could be as much as £7,600 which is potentially more than the vehicle is worth and more than the finance outstanding.

I demanded when it was last in that they replace them all under the warranty. They kept repairing it and I had to keep returning it when it stopped with no warning and regardless of speed. Once it did this on the roundabout as I left the motorway. I and all on the motorway around me were very fortunate that day!! I told the dealer with all the issues I had experienced that they were not scrimping on the repairs any longer when my life and that of others were at risk.

So my next question is if it was the injectors that failed - why did these fail when they cost a £1,000 to replace?? I don't see that as being reasonable or durable or fit for purpose.

I have had advice and guidance from numerous mechanics that have said that this car should not have failed me at this point or in the near future and this unfortunately was not something that I could have prevented.

Previous issues that I had probably weakened the engine, because it was not running correctly for a number of weeks and with a little added time it's given up.

I have asked Ford to investigate the exact cause of the problem to identify what failed and why. I have been told that they could but this could cost me a further £700 and they will not support with the cost of this. Regardless, any mechanic will inform you or any lawyers as they have told me, this engine should not have failed prematurely.
The sale of goods act 1979 state that that

'goods must be fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality '

Meaning it should be durable. A £17,000 car should not have a lifetime of 3.5 years

Section 75 of the consumer credit act states that as you have financed this vehicle and technically are the owner you also have legal obligations and therefore hold liability as well as the dealership.

The following are some of the effects that occurred due to my vehicle not being properly repaired properly previously. I am under no illusions that they could potentially have ruined my engine. These would not have happened had the Ford dealership been ‘competent’ at their jobs.
This may not be relevant but it should make you question the standard of their workmanship and look at why my car failed?????

I was the victim of sexual harassment on one of the occasions when my vehicle was transported to the dealership to be repaired again.

The dealership denied any responsibility for the above sexual harassment at the time stating this was at the fault of the recovery company. This complaint was severe in that the Managing Director of one of the top 3 recovery companies dealt with it!!

The dealership were responsible
1) They provided the recovery package as part of my vehicle purchase
2) They told me previously my vehicle was repaired and safe.
3) The dealership informed me I would receive a guaranteed courtesy car as part of my purchase package on arrival at the garage - the only reason I accompanied the recovery of my vehicle from my home address. On arrival there wasn’t. Then I was stranded 40 miles from home with no way of getting home after the sexual harassment and no support from the dealership again. My partner was out in Afghanistan at the time.
4) I never did receive a courtesy car so the dealership had to arrange for my vehicle to be returned. They knew I was home and waiting. The services manager phoned me several times including to let me know they were on their way. The car was left outside someone else’s house 1/4 mile away and my cars posted through their letter box - Happy Christmas stranger!!

Is there anything else apart from public awareness to force Ford to take some responsibility for this?

Many thanks
Louise

OWLS96

Apr 15, 2013
I ordered & paid for my sons prom photo back in nov 2012, as of yet i have recieved it. I have tried phoning, e-mails & letters, but still no reply. What can i do

Victoria smith

Jun 1, 2013
We need help as a neighbour hood to battle the council department to take them on and investigate them as planing seem to be letting a resident get away with everything the home owner is always one step head we have never been informed about certain planning never had a chance to put our views across and appeal bout the planning. Our views and concerns are not listen too my rights to light privacy are going to be invaded devalue of another residents property bouy a great amount again we have been told nor informed properly something is wrong with the way things have been delt with we have even been informed the the home owner is in a relationship with the planning officer but do not have a 100 percent proof we need a repasentive to help all the way the property is the talk of our neighbourhood a lot of people think there're are back handers going on we even want to take this to the Secretary of State to get this stopped please help us building a house turning it into flats with out permission yet the planning are aware of this yet still allowing her to carry on building ! Also building a house in a garden with both property's there is privacy lighting. All affected please help us or find or direct someone to repasentive us thank you Vickie smith

jackie1963

Nov 18, 2013
please dom can you help me with the talk talk dilemma that I have you may have seen my posts on here, but last year I was with talk talk and their service kept going down on me, the broadband, so I foned them but alas because I was ill and did not think properly I used 118 service and I racked up a bill of over 300 pounds, however, I was scammed at the same time by a group of scammers from india and I had my computer hacked and lost a lot of money, I thought talk talk were involved so when I finally discovered that they had taken this amount of money out of my account I phoned them up and the person I spoke to said that she would give me back my money as a good will gesture, therefore, the money went back into my account, however, then talk talk wanted the money back so I cancelled my direct debit, so they they cut my service altogether, but now they are saying that I owe over a thousand pounds, im a lonely woman on her own, I am just scrapping by and I cannot afford this amount of money, I paid the original amount of money then they paid it back to me, now they want it back threefold,
I went through trading standards, wrote talk talk letters, to which they ignored them so the next step was to go through the ombudsman, but TODAY THEY CAME BACK TO ME AND SAID THAT I HAVE TO PAY THE MONEY BECAUSE TALK TALK HAVE SAID THAT THIS NEVER HAPPENED AND I BELIEVE THAT THEY HAVE FORCIFIED THE TRANSCRIPT OF THE CONVERSATION, SO THAT THEY DID NOT SAY THAT THEY WERE GIVING THE MONEY BACK, BUT I SAID THAT THEY MUST HAVE DOCTORED IT BECAUSE SHE DEFINITELY SAID IT, AND HOW DID THE MONEY GET BACK INTO MY ACCOUNT.
they are saying that I made a complaint and I got my bank to write to talk talk to give me back the money, which did not happen, but im at my wits end to know what to do now, I cannot afford to pay this money, I have just given up my job as a nurse because of stress and I have no money coming in so I don't know where they think im going to get the money from.
can you please please help me with this,
Jackie henderson

Nicole123

Feb 13, 2014
"Please dom can you help me with the talk talk dilemma that I have you may have seen my posts on here, but last year I was with talk talk and their service kept going down on me, the broadband, so I foned them but alas because I was ill and did not think properly I used 118 service and I racked up a bill of over 300 pounds, however, I was scammed at the same time by a group of scammers from india and I had my computer hacked and lost a lot of money, I thought talk talk were involved so when I finally discovered that they had taken this amount of money out of my account I phoned them up and the person I spoke to said that she would give me back my money as a good will gesture, therefore, the money went back into my account, however, then talk talk wanted the money back so I cancelled my direct debit, so they they cut my service altogether, but now they are saying that I owe over a thousand pounds, im a lonely woman on her own, I am just scrapping by and I cannot afford this amount of money, I paid the original amount of money then they paid it back to me"

I believe you should contact international affairs.