Macbook Pro 2011 & Amazon Trader

takehart

May 29, 2014
Hi,

I bought a new Macbook Pro 2011 in August 2011 form Gregory Electronics on Amazon, they were in the main section and not Marketplace.

A disturbing number of Macbook Pro's from this year have developed huge problems with the Graphics Card and Logic board failing (they have all seemed to start failing roughly around the same time and all show the same problems), mine is amongst the number.

Apple cannot help me as I bought my machine through Amazon, so I sent the standard SOGA letter to the retailer, he has since replied stating that the Warranty has run out, and he provided the goods in working order, therefore I have no recourse with him.

I believe that as this was a very expensive machine, from a reputable company I would expect it to last longer than 2 1/2 years under the quality and durability section of SOGA, but does the SOGA apply in this instance as I bought through Amazon? This fault is definitely a fault with the Hardware and the Macbook Pro has only been out of my house a handful of times, so is not as a result of carrying in a bag etc.

Could anyone tell me what I can do about this, I really need my Macbook Pro in good working order as I am training to be a Graphic Designer on it and definitely cannot afford another!!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
Inform the trader that warranties are in addition to your statutory rights.
SOGA 100% applies here - youve got nothing to worry about.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If you paid by credit card you are also covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act - see the link below

takehart

May 29, 2014
Hi, thanks for the help, the seller is still refusing to do anything even after I wrote a very detailed explanation of the issue to him and referred him to his responsibilities, complained to Amazon directly, he replied with a short email saying that the issue had been addressed, it has not, he still won't do anything. I have complained again to Amazon about this and am waiting for them to reply.
Will the Visa Chargeback still be valid after all this time if I cannot get him or Amazon to sort the problem? I really just wanted him to repair the problem at a certified Apple repairer, rather than have to get a new machine, but now I don't really know what to do. My Macbook Pro is a brick, it is a hardware issue that Apple are fixing in the UK for free, but only if you have bought directly from them.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Give him 14 days notice then take him to the small claims court. It is really easy. Just to manage your expectations due to the age it would be reasonable for him to offer a few hundred pounds in cash