Make money from your website

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I thought I'd start the new year with a small money-making tip, as I'm sure many of us are feeling that the next payday is a long way away! If you have a website that gets regular traffic, you can make some money from putting Google AdSense adverts on your site. The adverts that appear should be relevant to your website, and there are several types of ads available. Unless you run a massively popular website, you're unlikely to make a fortune, but it can be a useful small income.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes, it is useful income. There are loads of websites about this. Having a high-traffic site is one model that works. The other is a niche site where the advertisers bid a lot and you get more per click e.g. financial services, health insurance etc. You can use this tool to research profitable terms and a profitable subject for your website - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The other easy way to monetise a website is through affiliate marketing. This is how Martin Lewis makes his money over at MoneySavingExpert.com

Tony

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have been dabbling in affiliate marketing, and as GlasgowGirl says it can be a useful small income. I place banners and links on my website that earns me money on a pay-per-click, per lead, or per sale basis.

Recently I have also been creating webpages on the Squidoo webiste. Squidoo is a simple way to create single webpages. It is made up of a large community and is completely free. You do need basic HTML knowledge to add links and banners to your pages, though the Squidoo community is always happy to help beginners. Once you have created your webpage, you can visit the Squidoo forum to request member reviews and receive that all important traffic.

Squidoo is an excellent site for those new to webpage building, and an excellent addition for the more advanced.

The only drawback to Squidoo is that the majority of the members are based in the US and my webpages are aimed at those in the UK.

I would love to hear if anyone knows of any similar sites to Squidoo, especially any geared more towards people in the UK.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Although Squidoo is easy you still need to promote it, we have one and have never done this: UK Consumer Information

So we get no traffic and it doesn't rank.

As it is in the US it will also rank higher over there than over here.

There are a few similar sites that are free:

Hubpages.com
Squidoo.com
EzineArticles.com
Zimbio.com
Gather.com
wordpress.com
eHow.com

If you create a nice looking general blog then you can apply to the various affiliate companies and use it as your own personal cashback site.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the useful information Tony. I will be checking out the sites you suggested over the weekend, and the thought of using my pages as my own personal cashback site never occured to me. I agree that the all important element to earning from a webpage is promotion, which I find really difficult and time consuming, especially since I am trying to promote my pages without spending any money.

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
looks really interesting I have a few sites that just sit there and have not brought me any money so anything is worth a try
:)

Steve Hicks

Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for listing those sites Tony. I have been looking into this for a while. I am running a couple of blogs, and eventually I want to look at implementing Google AdSense into these. I've heard a few very promising stories about it, so it's definately worth a look! :cool:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for listing those sites Tony. I have been looking into this for a while. I am running a couple of blogs, and eventually I want to look at implementing Google AdSense into these. I've heard a few very promising stories about it, so it's definately worth a look! :cool:
No problem glad they were of use. You are probably not going to get rich with Adsense unless you are blogging about mortgages or something that people bid a lot of money on. And even then you need the traffic...

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
That's a good idea. Another thought along those same lines is to add button or text ads to the side of your site. The fee charged should be based on your traffic. When your traffic goes up, increase the fee you charge. That should help make a little extra income as well.

Timber

Apr 7, 2010
Yes, it is useful income. There are loads of websites about this. Having a high-traffic site is one model that works. The other is a niche site where the advertisers bid a lot and you get more per click e.g. financial services, health insurance etc. You can use this tool to research profitable terms and a profitable subject for your website -

The other easy way to monetise a website is through affiliate marketing. This is how Martin Lewis makes his money over at MoneySavingExpert.com

Tony
So that's how Martin makes his money! Always bugged me - thanks!