Money Box Live: A hazardous year for UK holidaymakers. What are your rights if things

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
BBC Mpneybox
This has been a hazardous year for British holidaymakers, who've had to endure terror attacks, a failed coup in Turkey and the recent collapse of travel firm Low Cost Holidays. To make matters worse, the pound has fallen against most major currencies, meaning your break abroad will cost you more than you first budgeted for. What are your rights if your break goes wrong? What will your insurance pay out for and what's not covered? And will you be avoiding popular summer getaway destinations like Turkey and Egypt in favour of other countries? Joining Louise Cooper will be: Bob Atkinson, Travel Supermarket; Sean Tipton, ABTA; and Kate Huet, Association of Travel Insurance Intermediaries. E mail: moneybox@bbc.co.uk with your comments or questions. Or call 03 700 100 444. Lines open on Wednesday at 1pm. Standard geographic charges apply.
Money Box Live: A hazardous year for UK holidaymakers. What are your rights if things go wrong?External link to BBC

Sumita

Jul 2, 2014
Re: Money Box Live: A hazardous year for UK holidaymakers. What are your rights if th

Does anyone know if you can take a package holiday company to small claims without going through ABTA (with whom they are registered)? I went with my children on a really horrendous holiday, and complained upon return (I did complain while there but nothing could be done). The company offered a tiny compensation and didn't pay out of pocket costs. I took them to ABTA but ABTA say that unless I do the arbitration scheme (which costs £108), they can't take it any further. So can I now go straight to small claims? I have photos, videos etc of our cockroach infested hotels, tours not as described, etc.