My planning consultants final charges- more than 20 x quoted

Laura Martin

Jan 22, 2010
Advice would be most appreciated please. I was originally quoted a block fee by my planning consultant. The contract was signed by both parties. Initially ( within the first year of the process) he informed us of a few extra charges which we paid. We did not have another invoice for 14 months - this was marked 'interim invoice for ongoing services' we paid that then another invoice for a far greater amount was sent along with a letter mentioning that the consultant's timesheet has been steadily accumulating. A few weeks later a final invoice arrived bringing the total costs to over 20 times the original quote. We were never told the work would be charged on an hourly basis and have only signed the initial agreement. Where do we stand legally? Many thanks for any help as I am in a state of great shock!

Laura Martin

Jan 22, 2010
Hi Tony - thanks so much for your post, I will check out the links later but thought I would reply to you first. It was a 'fee proposal' and listed services without a time limit with a price which had written next to it: 'Block fee'

It asked for an deposit and stated that subsequent monthly invoices must be paid within 7 days.

Laura Martin

Jan 22, 2010
Hi Tony,

I just followed the links you sent but there is really nothing there specifically relating to my question, but thanks anyway.