Need Advice on DVLA Fine

saad1995

Feb 6, 2015
hello, i have received a fine from DVLA for the following reason:

'we do not appear to have received a reply to our recent letter requesting information about motor vehicle registration mark xxxxxx, following a report alleging that it was seen on 15/12/2014 being used/kept while untaxed'

According to the letter, they claim that i was sent a previous letter in regards to this offense however i have not received anything prior to the letter i received today.

Secondly, i bought the car in November from a car dealer who gave me a 'deal' where the tax was included. The dealer had given me the tax disc that was given with the car when he bought it and assured me that the car would remain taxed. unfortunately this was a verbal agreement so whats stopping the dealer from denying he said that?

i assumed then that the dealer knew what he was talking about because after all, he is a CAR dealer. Now i am stuck with a £67 and also when i purchased road tax on the gov.uk website today, i was told that because the car has not been taxed since i bought the car in november they may get in touch so i am most likely going to get hit with another fine.

my question is, do you think that i am to blame even though i was mislead by the dealer?

nickmarsh

Jan 16, 2014
Yes you are to blame. It was up to you to tax the car when you purchased it in November. Tax now expires whenever a car is sold to a new owner and the new owner is responsible for it.
So you have to pay the fine.
You could complain to the car dealer but I suspect that it would be a waste of time. You could complain about him to Trading Standards, which would at least get them interested in him.