Newbie needs some urgent advice.

Missy32

Nov 20, 2016
Hi
I'm really quite annoyed and not sure where I stand!
I was on my way to purchase a sofa and foolishly decided to stop in on a big name high street retail shop and have a look. More fool me! on doing so I saw another sofa I quite liked the look of. But not able to decide i came home and discussed it with family members and they came to view it the next day with me. It was more expensive and a 4-5 week wait as stated by the sales person. Still unsure I hummed and hawwed for roughly an hour while the sale guy went over and over how good it was...how great this how wonderful that. I asked as "Black Friday" was looming if there would be any offers and whether to hold off. Told NO. Asked if it was a New Year sale possibility. Again told NO. Asked if there was option to buy shop floor model. Told NO. This was a great buy etc and would be available for a long time to purchase in store.
Thought about it long and hard and finally decided to go for it. Well over 2x the other sofa amount I was originally going for. Had to pay extra for some sort of flame protection crap to be coated all over the sofas which was almost £400. Over priced delivery etc. when it was being processed by sales person we went from 4-5 week delivery down to less than 2 weeks even though it's their busiest time of the year. Did find it odd and questioned it at the time. Was told it was "in stock" and could be processed quickly. Although it was custom made!

So that sofa was ordered 12th November and I went in yesterday to pay full balance exactly a week later and was disgusted to see my sofa discontinued and now the shop model was up for sale. Sofas x2 a chair and footstool on offer for £1200 a whole £600 less than what I paid! Plus they get an extra chair. Seriously. I get 2 sofas for £1800
Not happy. Asked the nearest sales person when it went on offer. He stated "this morning" (19th Nov )
Spoke to a manager who told me it was reduced on Weds (16th Nov) and was now discontinued. WHAT. I paid full price and then some for a discontinued product.

The manager informed me as my sofas were custom made and already on the way to the store. ..which would mean made in 3 days at thee BUSIEST time of the year. Seriously who are they kidding. I got a txt message on the 16th Nov stating that they were en route to the store ready for delivery.
I'm not being fooled into believing that they were made in 3 days. Im absolutely raging that the manager lied more than once and the fact i now have to purchase a blooming sofa that is not only discontinued but I could have had the shop model for £600 less and gained an extra chair!
Spoke to original sales person who stated is is NOT being discontinued. When I told him the store manager had informed me other wise he got a bit flustered and said I had 24hours to change my mind. But it had past. This was never mentioned at time of signing.
Had I known this was going on offer I'd have bought it...hence the reason I asked.

Anyone know where I stand. Manager says I have no leg to stand on.
Sales guy stated I can refuse delivery and lose £400 deposit.
Help anyone. Where do I stand legally? So angry. Anyone know the consumer rights or anything about this. Just feel I'm being conned. Used to work in retail and your aware of the offers coming up. They could have mentioned it.

Missy32

Nov 20, 2016
Can anyone offer any help or advice?
I see I've had alot of views...but no replies?
Pretty hopeless! :-(

Missy32

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for that message Divine.
Thats it Done...only on another Page. I followedthe link.
Thanks again and I look forward to reading the respond. :-D

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Missy,

Typically you don't have the right to change your mind unless you buy something online. However, some stores do allow this e.g. M&S. This is above and beyond your statutory rights.

I can understand why you are annoyed but at this time of year quite common due to all the sales.

Welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,

Tony

Missy32

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
Taking the matter further.
The extra sealant to protect from fire at £258 was only for 5 years no mention of the length nor any mention of the 15 year warranty which was included.

No way is the sofa made to my exact requirements in 3 days.

oldoakey

Dec 14, 2013
www.jtsinteriors.co.uk
"Had to pay extra for some sort of flame protection crap to be coated all over the sofas which was almost £400"

I would query this with the retailer.
Are you sure it was for flame protection as all goods must conform to the Cigarette and match test as a minimum requirement for domestic upholstery.

In other words it has to be flame retardant or they would be breaking the law in suppling these products to you.

Its is probably for stain resist treatment to the pieces but again this seems very high. We sell tins for £15 per tin and you can do your whole suite with 2 tins, although some brands such as Guardsman do carry a guarantee and are much dearer the normal price is around £30 per seat so a three piece suite would be £150 with the guarantee.