Nexus 7 lifespan

Fightformyrights

Mar 9, 2012
Can anyone please tell me how long a Nexus 7 should last? Someone who 'should' know told me that it's six years, can anyone please confirm or otherwise?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
I believe youve got a little mixed up. 6 years is the time period in which you can take action from a breach of contract/condition under the Sale of Goods Act.
The actual adverage lifespan of a product is determined from many factors: Product claims, the brand image, materials used, life expectancy of similar products under similar conditions of use, any marketing information used to give an impression of quality (including verbal information) and lastly the price of the goods. Though price cannot be a sole determining factor, it can be used to make a slightly better judgement, as goods to the value of £10 shouldnt be expected to last the same length of time as goods at the value of £1000.

The lifespan you determine is a subjective one, and therefore is up for debate between yourself and the other party, you must not be biased (being your product) and must think of the product from an outsiders point of view.

Personally I would estimate the lifespan of a Nexus 7 (dependant on model) to be somewhere between 2 years and 3 years under normal use.

Hope this helps

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
I'd phrase the expected lifespan slightly differently, but otherwise agree totally with the previous post. I'd say you'd be fortunate to get more than 4 years from it (-ie- IMO you'd not have any realistic right to redress after 4 years, but may have some up to that point).

If you say they sell now for around the £200 mark for a 32GB 2013 model, 4 years equates to £50 per year, so roughly £1 per week. That's not bad!

As said previously it is very subjective. I know there is a table in existence somewhere which sets down expected life expectancies, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Fightformyrights

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for all replies and apologies for the delay in replying, I've been on hols. :)

I wasn't getting mixed up about the six years, it's what I was actually told by the technical help section of the company I bought it from. I had it for less than 15 months when it totally packed up. They offered me a partial refund but I don't think it's sufficient considering I've had it for such a short time. I just wanted to check on things before I write to their head office.