Nintendo DS Cost of repair

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
My daughter's Nintendo DS gave up the ghost recently. It was only around 18 months old.

We took it to a local computer shop to enquire about a repair. We explained the fault and the man said he "thinks it's probably the motherboard" and would cost about £60 to fix. But he didn't think it was worth it and would offer us a new DS for £80, provided we gave in the broken one as part exchange.

We decided against this because :-

1. We can get a brand new DS for around £80 - £90 now anyway.

2. I am not entirely convinced that it is the motherboard. I have sufficient knowledge in faults on computers to suggest that the fault is battery or contact based, in which case the repair would be just a few quid.

3. Quite simply, I didn't trust his opinion as he didn't even take the DS to have a look at.

I felt he thought "two mugs I can overcharge here for a simple repair". I may be doing him a disservice, but with the best will in the world, I don't see how you can diagnose a fault using telekinesis or "the force" as opposed to a screwdriver and a bit of knowledge.

My feeling was, he wanted us to take the trade in. Spend £80 on a new DS (saving us about £10, but he'd still make a profit on wholesale prices), he then spends £10 maximum getting the old DS fixed up and sells it for £50-£60 second hand (that's what they were priced at in the shop).

Or am I just a tired, embittered old cynic?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Have you got proof of purchase? If so, i reckon you should be able to get it repaired for free.

Tony

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I've looked Tony, but I can't find any receipt. I know I ordered it about 18-20 months ago from Argos but it was part of a larger order and I doubt it would specifically be named on a bank statement as part of the order...

My wife says she has a drawer full of receipts she will check through. She is pretty good in this respect and tends to keep everything... so fingers crossed.

Thanks

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If you can find the payment with transaction number they can check your claim if they wish - worth a go I reckon. Did you buy or reserve online? It may be in the transaction history

Tony