Pay youth music competition found to be part of a jury/teacher racket

Xavier

Oct 2, 2020
We have encountered an open-to-all youth piano competition where 100% of the awards were handed to contestants whose teachers were members of the jury.

There were a total of seven jury members, all teachers. Combined these seven jury members teach in just three institutions. All laureates study with one of the seven teachers.

The total number of teachers who had a student in the competition is 36. Together they represented over 15 different institutions, and 11 are private teachers.

All participants must pay a fee to compete. The contract indicates that all jury decisions are final.

Is that practice legal?

Is there a law that protects minors who enter this type of competitions?

Thank you

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How much are we talking in terms of prizes? It certainly doesn't sound fair

Xavier

Oct 2, 2020
How much are we talking in terms of prizes? It certainly doesn't sound fair
Thank you for your reply,

There are no prizes, only diploma like documents.

Since I first posted about this competition, I have found out that one of the organisers has her own students compete too. In the last five editions of the competition, her students have received half of the first prizes. In this year´s competition, for example, in the youngest category, one of her students received 1st prize, the student of a jury member received 2nd prize, and another student of the organiser in question received 3rd prize. In the oldest group category the organiser’s student won 1st prize too.

All contestants are minors and their parents pay £25 to enter the competition. Is it legal to charge for a flagrantly rigged competition like that?

P.S. The setup seems to work as follows: the organiser‘s main selling point as a private teacher is the awards her student receive in this and another competition. She then sends her students to expensive master classes with members of the jury.

Last edited:

BillyJean

Jan 17, 2022
I don't think they have to pay a fee. You know, I myself have been playing the piano since childhood and I value it very much, so I don't want to buy a new one! Advise me a good piano restorer!

Last edited:

monika_bey

Dec 6, 2021
I like music. It is an art form, and opinions come into play. Music is whatever people think is music. A different approach is to list the qualities music must have, such as, sound which has rhythm, melody, pitch, timbre

sara_karm

Dec 7, 2021
Hi, I love any music. I especially like pop music. My friend recently started making music, and he found a great website to promote a Spotify account where you can buy spotify plays. Nowadays, Spotify subscribers are more important than ever because they reflect how many people are interested in your music. He was very pleased with how quickly he gained followers.

tinkadott

Feb 27, 2022
music is good. And competitions should be arranged in order to consider the excitement of children and try something new for yourself. I, as someone who is fond of music, can advise you to add various sound effects to your music (for example, woke up this morning ringtone https://notification-sounds.com/517-bruh-sound-effect.html ). They diversify your music and make it more interesting to listen to.

SYBilly

May 25, 2022