pc world knowhow

almal64

May 16, 2012
Hi,

was hoping for some advice regarding a laptop repair with the so called knowhow team, the repair men of the dixons group..pc world ..currys etc

My laptop had been away for repair and was returned with a broken base, so it was taken back for repair, repaired and returned, however when i used it my operating system etc had been wiped/ re-installed. photos gone everything, it started up like a new computer welcoming me for purchasing a advent laptop etc.

Anyway the photos were not important, but the sound was crackling, i ignored this as i was fed up with knowhow service and thought i would get by as it was, then the sound went totally and said i had no sound device installed?, then i tried to print something off and it told me it could not connect to my printer as i had no wsd drive?. also my hard drive situation was 290gb/320gb available it now has only 250gb/290gb available. should i not have my missing gb's back?

So contacted knowhow by email explaining above.

They called me back and apoligized for clearing my hard drive etc as it should not have been done as it was only a cracked base that needed fixing, and that as a result of the hard drive etc being wiped my device drivers would probably need reinstalled to make it work again, i explained i didnt know how to do this, he said i should have back up of my computer, i said i did not, as i wasnt advised to do this, he said they dont advise, i should have known to do it!! So they apoligize then blame me!
Anyway he told me they will not fix it as its a software problem, and i should have the means to fix this myself. I explained i had no computer skills to speak of and that i belived they should right the wrong, he said no way.They will not fix it. End of. Software problem i am not covered. i tried explaining it did not have a software problem when i sent it away, he said it didnt matter, it was a software problem now and i should fix it myself.

Surely this is not right?

I have written back stating that i think under the sales of goods act i am entitled to have my laptop repaired and returned to me free of faults and fit for purpose, i have also sent a letter to ceo sebastian jones. any advice?

Thank you
ALMAL

Marbre PL

Jul 15, 2014
We purchased a HP Pavillion laptop from PC World Plymouth on 29th December.

Over the last weekend the laptop unexpectedly died. No matter what advised course of action we took we could not resuscitate the laptop.

We were advised to call into the local PC World Knowhow desk which just happens to be 22 miles away. Upon arrival I was told immediately that the problem with the laptop was a software problem and not that of hardware and were therefore not covered under the manufacturers warranty.

The two questions I immediately asked the less than sympathetic assistant was a. how can you tell it is a software problem when you cannot even turn the laptop off? His answer "We just know" Question b. How long will it take to fix? Answer: "If you pay the £50 now it will 100% be ready for collection the following morning.

We rely heavily on the laptop for our guest house booking system so rather than split hairs over £50 I paid the money and agreed I would return the following lunchtime.

I returned the following lunchtime as promised only to be told I needed to bring along the Knowhow USB. I was absolutely furious to say the least. I then had to make another 44 mile round trip to collect the USB. So far I had driven over 88 miles and my laptop was still in a complete state of disrepair.

We return to the PC World shop to hand over the USB only to be told that they had to send the machine away. We asked how long would it take to be repaid to be told "We dont know, we are busy!"

The team at Knowhow Plymouth are rude, arrogant and totally non-customer focussed.

Could someone please advise me if I should have paid the £50? Is this normal practice for a laptop that is only 7 months old?

If there is anyone else who has experienced the shoddy Knowhow service please get in touch.

Thanks

almal64

May 16, 2012
Hi, just a follow up to my problem , dont know if it will help marbre or not,

Eventually knowhow took my computer back to look at it again, then phoned and and offered me 300 pounds towards a new computer or they would repair my current one, i took the 300 voucher!.

The bottom line with marbres problem is wether it is a software or hardware fault.
I would have thought they would have took computer for repair with the provisio that if it was software issue there would be a charge, if it was hardware it would be covered free. How the assistant could tell without examining it is beyond me.

I would write a email/letter to the store manager, also to knowhow repair team manager explaining the whole process upto now and how you have been charged 50 pounds to fix a seven month old computer that is under warrenty, when the problem had not been identified, hardware or software.

Bottom line is they should have took it for repair but advised you if it was software you would be liable and they would contact you with a cost if you wished them to go ahead with repair.If not they would return it in same condition you gave them it in.

Honestly would never buy another computer from this group, knowhow are shocking to deal with, they lost my computer, found it again, told me i had tried to repair it myself (wrong) basically told me i was stupid for not backing everything up, only sent it away for flickering screen, turned out to be loose wire on closing mechanism, when they repaired it they closed it up and caught the wire for speakers damaging same. Think the guys name i got at knowhow was joe jones, terrible mannerism, lost the rag and told him to go somewhere not nice.

I eventually got a decent result hope you do too.

Marbre PL

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks Almal your response, it is much appreciated. I have written to Knowhow through their website. We shall see what they have to say.