possible over payment for car insurance?

Gordon_G

Jun 20, 2013
Good day all,

I need some advice, so hope any here can help.

My wife had an accident in Jan this year – hit black ice, went off the road, no other vehicles involved, broke one of her vertebra.

2 days later I called Direct Line to claim, car was written off and I was paid out a few weeks later.

I cannot recall telling them to cancel the policy, and maybe stupidity overcame me and I assumed that because I was paid out, the policy would be automatically be cancelled. I cancelled my direct debit, and was called to say I had another 5 months of instalments to pay, so reinstated my direct debit.

However, a renewal notice came through the post last week, and upon calling them, I was told by the agent that the policy should have been cancelled in Jan (needles to say the car was scrapped, and did not have it anymore). When confirmation of the cancellation came through, the date was when I called to not renew.

My questions are:

Have I made 5 additional payments for a policy on a vehicle that no longer existed, since early Feb?

Can I ask for those premiums to be refunded to me? It is nearly £300, no small amount

Sorry for the long winded story, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Gordon

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You can try, you can cancel a policy at any time but there will be fees. Not sure why you reinstated the direct debit.