Postage costs for faulty goods

Tazzy2

Jul 12, 2013
The seller states All Postage charges for returning any items will be at the expense of the customer, refunds will not include any carriage charges, and may take up to 7 days to process.

As these are faulty goods being returned can they do this? If they can I will lose out, as including delivery costs I have spent over £12 with a refund of £6

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
If they were sent to you faulty, then they must either: a) pay for the return carriage , or b) refund the cost of the return once they receive it.

J Smith

Jun 21, 2013
I too am going through a similar process as you, a seller (company) using ebay thinks their terms and conditions supersede the law of the land and they don't have to reimburse me the cost of returned postage on a faulty item... They do, but i think they know that and are hoping I'll eventually get tired and go away, I wont!

I'm not 100% sure but i think you are also entitled to a reimbursement for the original cost of the postage too, the postage cost to get the item to you in the first place.

Maybe someone like ALewis can clarify that?

J Smith.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
You are correct JSmith provided it was shipped/arrived faulty.
Also worth noting: as some eBay sellers can be shifty, send the faulty goods back by a recorded means only.

Tazzy2

Jul 12, 2013
JSmith. This is ebay too and they tell their sellers wrong.

I could not afford to send it back recorded as I am on benefit, but I did get proof of posting as well as proof of cost

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Ok tazzy, just ensure you get them to admit that they have received the goods back as otherwise you have no proof if the case ended up at the SCC.
Alewis.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Have you got your order in for Royal Mail shares yet Adam?

The County Court will accept proof of posting as proof of return, whether the seller says the received it or not, if they claim not to have received it, they must take the matter up with Royal Mail.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Oh, news to me regarding proof of post - but I guess it's the same with contract law and cancelling a contract by post.
Makes sense now.

But yeah, I got a few in ;) lol (not)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It is because many larger companies don't sign for letters, the problem arose particularly during the bank charge reclaim saga and I suppose with PPI claims too and the courts accepted proof of postage as proof of delivery, I can imagine how many postroom staff some of these companies would have to employ to deal with their complaints!