Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory revie

Caveman

Dec 1, 2016
Gerrards Cross, Bucks
Hi Everyone,

My first consumer post; can anyone help.

I paid a £400 deposit to a private seller on the understanding that I was buying the car subject to "satisfactory inspection"; i.e. I would not go ahead if major issues were found and indicated that I would consider this to be costs greater than £600 or £700.

I received a signed receipt from the seller stating this and agreed that I would pay for the inspection. I did this and, unfortunately, thousands of pounds of work came up for a car being sold for £7,250. I said that as significant issues had come up I didn't want to proceed and could I have my deposit back. The seller refused and said that no-one could prove that the receipt (identifying him, his address, the total price, the deposit paid and the car) was signed by him. What rights do I have?

Sunnysuer

Nov 30, 2016
Warlingham
Re: Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory r

Do you have any proof of interaction? For example email or text. If so get on to your local trading standard.

Caveman

Dec 1, 2016
Gerrards Cross, Bucks
Re: Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory r

Yes; I have the signed sales receipt indicating that the sale is dependent upon the inspection. Once I have it I will have the inspection with all the issues identified which could easily be translated into costs (which would be significant in value compared to the sale price of the vehicle). Most importantly I have an email string where I am flagging that the inspection will flag expensive items and my example is one of the issues that was identified. His response agreed to finding time to facilitate the inspection.

Sunnysuer

Nov 30, 2016
Warlingham

Get on to your local trading standards and see we're you stand. Might need to go to a small claims court. Good luck x

Caveman

Dec 1, 2016
Gerrards Cross, Bucks

Thanks; maybe the threat of a CCJ will get his attention? I will look in to that. I think it helps that the email chain demonstrates acceptance on top of the signed receipt.