Replacement PS3 outside of warranty

BatesKO

Apr 28, 2013
Hi,

New guy here, I have been reading the sticky topic about this but it seems the posts go from old to new to old so don't quite know which to follow.

My problem is my missus bought me a 160GB PS3 Slim from ASDA in December 2011 (17 Months ago), The past few months it's been full system crashing, Not on a regular basis at first, the odd time maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. I put this down to overheating and gave the PS3 more space and cleaned the vents etc.

But since the last 2 weeks, whatever game is loaded, between 2-10 minutes of it loading up, I get a full system crash. So i cannot play any games at all or dvd's for that matter.

Spoke to Sony, did all the restoring and now it crashes even quicker. They have quoted me £110 for a refurbed replacement with only 3 months warranty.

Rung ASDA, spoke to 3 or 4 different people who seemed to be on auto-mode of saying 'We only give 12 month warranty'

Any help is appreciated.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Asda are correct, they do only give 12 months warranty accompanied by the starement 'this does not affect your statutory rights' these are your rights under the Sale of Goods Act which say goods must be fit for purpose and durable.

How long would a reasonable person expect a games console to last? I think the general consensus is at least 3 years, given the age of it, you couldn't expect a refund but you can expect it to be repaired.

Phone them again and quote SOGA if you still get nowhere you will have to write to their head office telling them if they don't have it repaired you will see them in the small claims court, that's usually enough to get them to act. You need to deal with Asda, not Sony.